octa-=eight,eighth 变化型 octo-
n [U, C] (abbr 缩写 Oct) the tenth month of the year, next after September 十月. For the uses of October see the examples at April. 关于October 的用法见April词条中的示例.
n [U and C]written abbreviationOct.
[Date: 1000-1100; Language: Old French;Origin: Octobre, from Latin October, from octo 'eight'; because it was the eighth month of the ancient Roman year]
the tenth month of the year, between September and November
We moved in last October.
You're going to be busy in October.
on October 6th
We begin on October 6th.
on 6th OctoberBrE
They were arrested on 6th October.
The baby was baptized Monday, October 6.
1. By the end of October 1886, the statue had been put together again and it was officially presented to the American people by Bartholdi. 到1886年10月底，这座雕像被重新组装起来，由巴索尔地正式赠送给美国人民。
2. When it really opens, probably in October, the 31-mile Channel Tunnel (the Chunnel, for short) will be 15 months behind schedule and $7 billion over a budget set in 1987. 当隧道正式开放时(可能是在10月)，这条长31英里的英吉利海峡隧道（以下简称隧道）的开通将比预期推迟15个月，耗资将比1987年的预算多出70亿美元。
3. Also, the names of the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth months, October, November, and December, come from the Latin for eighth, ninth and tenth. 同样10月、11月和12月的名称October， November和December也来自拉丁语的第八、第九和第十。
4. September, October and November make the autumn season. 九、十、十一月是秋季，
5. Christopher Columbus discovered America on the 12th of October, 1492. 1492年10月12日，哥伦布发现了美洲大陆。
6. (If each calendar year were to be several days shorter than the time it takes the earth to go round the sun, the coldest winter days would soon come round in the middle of October in some twenty years!) （如果每个日历年都比地球围绕太阳旋转一周所花费的时间少几天，那么二十年后，冬天最冷的几天就会在十月中旬左右出现！）
7. On page three, 1 October 1767, was the ad of the agents of the ship, announcing the arrival of the Lord Ligonier under Captain Davies from the River Gambia, with a cargo of "fresh, choice, healthy slaves for sale, to be sold the following Wednesday a 在第3页上，1767年10月1 日，记录着轮船代理人的广告，宣布来自冈比亚河由戴维斯船长率领的利戈尼尔勋爵号带来了一船“新鲜的、精选的、健壮的奴隶，将于下个星期三在梅格码头出售。”
8. It´s October 1 ( the first).It´s National Day. 今天是十月一日，国庆节。
9. It´s always warm in September and October. 9月和10月总是很暖和，
10. In October, the two of them left Paris for Marseilles, to take a ship from there for Algiers, and then overland to Egypt. 十月，他们两人离开巴黎前往马赛，从那儿乘船前往阿尔及尔，然后再走陆路去埃及。