1. Eletricity must be generated by the consumption of coal or oil 发电需要消耗煤或石油.
2. Even on Valentine's Day, when the price of a dozen roses and delivery can soar as high as $150, 12 of Roses Only's most expensive flowers sell for just $35. 即使是在情人节，当一打玫瑰价格外加送花费可上涨至150美元的时候，"惟一玫瑰"花店里最贵的玫瑰也只卖35美元一打。
3. By way of contrast oil can be transported large distance by pipeline. 不同的是, 石油可以用输油管远距离输送.
4. But we do not need to send men down to get the oil out, as we must with other mineral deposits. 但是，我们不必像开采其他矿藏那样，把人送到地下去把石油取出。
5. Because of this, we kept looking back, wondering if we were leaving a trail of oil and petrol behind us. 因此，我们不时地掉过头，怀疑车后是否留下了机油和汽油的痕迹。
6. But what is wrong is that these things often come in at a high price to their health and the welfare of their families. 错的是这些东西是以牺牲他们的健康和他们家庭幸福的高昂代价才得以实现的。
7. When it has been decided where we are going to drill, we put up at the surface an oil derrick. 当钻孔地点决定后, 我们就在那块地面上坚起一个井架.
8. We endeavour to avoid the old, romantic idea of a gusher, which wastes oil and gas. 我们力图避免那种有关喷油井的陈旧的, 不切实际的计划, 这种计划浪费油和天然气.