(a) with open eyes, as in surprise 睁大眼睛的（表示惊讶）
*open-eyed in terror 吓得目瞪口呆.
(b) watchful; alert 警觉的; 机警的; 警惕的.
awake, or with your eyes open
She lay there open-eyed.
1. `Open your mouth a little wider,´ said the dentist. ‘把嘴张大点,’牙科医生说.
2. By having to sleep in the open, he gets far closer to the world of nature than most of us ever do. 由于被迫在露天睡觉，他比我们中许多人都离大自然近得多。
3. But there were times when not a single piece of dry wood could be found and even Humboldt lay with his eyes wide open, listening to the roars of the beasts that surrounded them. 但也有一块干木也找不到的时候，就连洪堡也睁大了眼睛躺在那里，听着包围他们的野兽的吼叫。
4. Be the first to extend your hand in greeting. Couple this with a friendly 'Hello', a nice smile, and your name and you have made the first step to open the lines of communication between you and another person. 在问候别人时先伸出你的手，并伴着友善的“你好”和让人愉悦的微笑，再报上自己的名字，这样，你就在与另一个人开始交流的道路上走出了第一步。
5. Before I reach the door, I think I hear a voice say, money. Before I open the door I hear a voice and turn to see the man with a gun. 我同样也很生气，因为那是一个我从未见过、也从未伤害过的人在用枪指着我。
6. Be honest and open about who you really are. People who lack genuine core values rely on external factors — their looks or status — in order to feel good about themselves. 要诚实坦白地表现真正的自我。缺乏实实在在内涵的人会去依靠外部因素——如长相或地位——来保持良好的自我感觉。
7. But while she was at college, my mother met my father, who was blue-eyed and yellow-haired and not Jewish. 可是我妈妈上大学时认识了我爸爸。他蓝眼睛，黄头发，而且不是犹太人。
8. But also, I was presenting to her one more particularly fine achievement: my own dark-eyed, dark-skinned, dark-haired daughter, whom my grandmother had never met. 但同时，我还要向她展示另一样特别出色的成就：我那黑眼睛、黑皮肤、黑头发的女儿，外婆还从来没有见过她呢。
9. What though before us lies the open grave? 即使死亡在前又有什么可惧？
10. When you see someone you know, or would like to make contact with, smile. You are showing an open attitude to conversation. 当你看到某个你所认识的人，或是想和他接触，就微笑吧。你这是在表明你乐于与他交谈的明确态度。