1 [C] way in or out; open space; gap （进出的）通路; 开口; 孔; 洞
*an opening in a hedge, fence, etc 树篱、篱笆等上的豁口
* an opening in the clouds 云中的缝隙.
2 [C esp sing 尤作单数] beginning 开始; 开端
*the opening of a book, speech, film, etc 书、演说、影片等的开头.
3 [sing] process of becoming or making open 开; 张开
*the opening of a flower 花的开放
* the opening of a new library 新图书馆的开幕.
4 [C] ceremony to celebrate (a public building, etc) being ready for use 庆祝（公共建筑物等）开始使用的仪式
*Many attended the opening of the new sports centre. 很多人参加了新体育中心的开始使用典礼.
(a) position (in a business or firm) which is open or vacant （公司等的）空缺
*an opening in an advertising agency 广告公司的空缺
* There are few openings in publishing for new graduates. 出版业中几乎没有给新毕业生的空缺.
(b) good opportunity to do or talk about sth; favourable conditions 良机; 有利的环境
*excellent openings for trade 做生意的大好机会
* The last speaker gave me the opening I was waiting for. 最後的发言者给了我等待已久的讲话机会.
adj [attrib 作定语] first 首先的; 第一个的; 开头的
*his opening remarks 他的开场白
* the opening scene of a film 电影开始的镜头.
1. Every skit in our class show was loudly applauded, from the opening scene to the finale. 班上戏剧表演中每个幽默讽刺处都受到热烈的掌声，从第一幕到终场都是如此。
2. The expensive shops in a famous arcade near Piccadilly were just opening. 皮卡迪利大街附近的一著名的拱廊街道上,几家高挡商店刚刚开门.
3. The company envisioned opening the sides of two mountains to extract coal. 这家公司打算挖开两座山的山坡采煤。
4. There is an opening in the wall. 墙上有个洞。
5. The expensive shops in a famous arcade near Piccadilly were just opening. 皮卡迪利大街附近的一条著名拱廊街道上，几家高档商店刚刚开始营业。
6. They can also show a lack of patience, displeasure, or judgment — any of which would prevent people from opening up. 交叉双臂还会向人暗示你缺乏耐心、心中不快，或者正在判断别人，其任何一点都会阻止别人向你畅开胸怀。
7. Take the example of Richard Wagner composing the opening to "Rhinegold". 以理查德·瓦格纳创作《莱茵河的黄金》的前奏曲为例，
8. Though today is the official opening ceremony, visitors are still excluded from the most enormous privately funded construction project ever. 尽管今天是正式的开幕典礼，参观者依然不能接近这项耗资最巨的私人投资建筑工程。
9. The opening of Eastern Europe is another prize for the company, which thinks that millions of people will put Disneyland at the top of a list of places to visit on their first trip to Western Europe. 东欧的开放对迪斯尼来说又是一大收获，他们认为几百万人将会把迪斯尼乐园作为其首次西欧之旅的首选之地。
10. Tokyo Roof is one of hundreds of amusement parks, sports centers, and resorts opening all over Japan as this hard-working nation brings its characteristic efficiency and intensity to the newly serious business of play. 几百家游乐园、体育中心、度假地在日本各地相继开张，"东京屋顶"就是其中之一。日本这个勤劳的民族近来把游乐作为一件认真的事来做，体现了其典型的高效和激情。