动词过去式:operated 过去分词:operated 现在分词:operating 第三人称单数:operates
1 (a) [I] (fml 文) work; be in action 工作; 运转
*This machine operates night and day. 这台机器日夜运转.
* The lift was not operating properly. 电梯有些失灵了.
(b) [Tn] cause (a machine, etc) to work; control 开动（机器等）; 操纵; 操作
*operate machinery 操纵机器
* He operates the lift. 他是开电梯的.
* The kettle is operated by electricity. 这水壶是电热的.
2 [I, Ipr, It] have or produce an effect; be in action 有效; 起作用; 发生影响
*The system operates in five countries. 有五个国家实施这种体制.
* The new law operates to our advantage. 新法规对我们有利.
* Several causes operated to bring about the war. 那场战争的起因有几个.
3 [Ipr, Tn] ~ (from sth) do business; manageor direct (sth) 经营; 管理或掌管（某事物）
*The company operates from offices in London. 那公司由设在伦敦的办事处管理.
* They operate three factories and a huge warehouse. 他们管着三家工厂和一个大仓库.
4 [I, Ipr] ~ (on sb) (for sth) perform a surgical operation 动手术
*The doctors decided to operate (on her) immediately. 医生决定马上（给她）动手术.
5 [I, Ipr] (of soldiers, the police, etc) carry out raids, patrols, etc （指士兵、警方等）出击、巡逻等
*bombers operating from bases in the North 从北方各空军基地起飞的轰炸机
* Police speed traps are operating on this motorway. 这条高速公路上有超速监测器.
7 operate as something
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: Latin;Origin: , past participle of operari 'to work', from opus; OPUS]
to use and control a machine or equipment
The Lewis family operated a number of boats on the canal.
Clive was experienced in operating the computers.
b) [I always + adverb/preposition]
if a machine operates in a particular way, it works in that way
Check that the equipment is operating in a safe manner.
The bus is designed to operate in all weather conditions.
Most freezers operate at below -18°C.
if a business or organization operates in a particular place or way, it works in that place or way
a design company operating from offices in Seattle.
A playgroup operates on the campus.
They were trying to reduce operating costs .
to control a business or organization
Nuns are operating an emergency hospital.
【SYSTEM/PROCESS/SERVICE】 [I and T]
if a system, process, or service operates, or if you operate it, it works
The whole tax system is now operating more efficiently.
The new law doesn't operate in our favour.
The car parks operate a pay-as-you-leave system.
The bus company operates a Monday to Saturday service.
to cut into someone's body in order to repair or remove a part that is damaged
Doctors had to operate to remove the bullet.
the surgeon who operated on Taylor's knee
to do your job or try to achieve things in a particular way
Most people just can't operate in noisy, crowded conditions.
Older children often like to operate independently.
if soldiers or police officers are operating in an area, they are working in that area
Security patrols now operate in some of the most dangerous parts of the city.
enemy submarines operating in the Mediterranean
operate as sth
to have a particular purpose
The foam operates as a very effective filter.
The car's service manual is designed to operate as a guide for owners.
to have an effect on something
the laws of evolution operating on each species
HINT sense 4
A surgeon does not 'operate' a part of a person's body. He or she operates on it: They need to operate on her stomach (NOT operate her stomach).
1. We were all dismayed at his refusal to co-operate. 他不肯合作使我们感到非常失望.
2. When lights fuse, furniture gets rickety, pipes get clogged, or vacuum cleaners fail to operate, 每当电灯保险丝烧断、家具榫头松动、管道堵塞、吸尘器不动时，
3. The only way to do this was to operate. 搞清的唯一办法就是手术。
4. Today´s cities operate largely on a single plane — the ground. 现在的城市主要在一个平面上活动——即地面。
5. To reach more people in the community, some AIDS educational programs operate out of a beauty shop. 为接触更多的社区居民，有些艾滋病教育计划放在美发店实施。
6. To further reduce the waiting list for phones, Hungary has leased rights to a Dutch -Scandinavian group of companies to build and operate what it says will be one of the most advanced digital mobile phone systems in the world. 为进一步减少电话待装户，匈牙利已将权利出租给一家荷兰-斯堪的纳维亚企业集团，来建造并经营一个据说是世界上最先进的数字移动电话系统。
7. Do you know how to operate computers? 你知道如何操作电脑吗?
8. "It's hard to operate a business on someone else's disaster," Johnson says. 约翰逊说："要靠别人的灾难来做生意是件难事。"
9. Computers need detailed instructions from human beings in order to be able to operate. 计算机需要人类详细的指令才能进行工作。
10. It seems that the brains of boys with mathematical talent operate in a way that is physically unique. 看来，具有数学天赋的男孩的大脑在生理方面的活动相当独特。