1 [C] ~ (of/about sb/sth) belief or judgement (about sb/sth) not necessarily based on fact or knowledge 意见; 看法; 主张
*political opinions 政见
* What's your opinion of the new President? 你对新总统有什么看法?
* The chairman's opinion should be sought. 应该徵求主席的意见.
* He was asked to give his honest opinion. 已请他直言不讳发表意见.
2 [U] beliefs or views of a group; what people in general feel 集体的意见或看法; 舆论
*Opinion is shifting in favour of the new scheme. 舆论正逐渐转向支持新计画.
* The project seems excellent, but local opinion is against it. 该项目极佳, 但地方舆论却表示反对.
3 [C] professional estimate or advice 专业性的评估或意见
*get a lawyer's opinion on the question 请教律师对这问题的意见
* You'd better get a second opinion before you let that man take out all your teeth. 先别让那个人把你的牙都拔掉, 最好再徵求一下别人的意见.
4 (idm 习语) be of the opinion that... (fml 文) believe or think that... 主张...; 认为...
*I'm of the opinion that he is right. 我认为他对. one's considered opinion => consider. have a good, bad, high, low, etc opinion of sb/sth think well, badly, etc of sb/sth 对某人[某事物]有好感、恶感、高的或低的评价等
*The boss has a very high opinion of her. 老板很器重她.
* She has a rather poor opinion of your written work. 她认为你的书面作业不太好. in my, your, etc opinion it is my, your, etc view or feeling that 按照我的、你的...看法
*In my opinion and in the opinion of most people, it is a very sound investment. 照我的和大多数人的看法, 这是很可靠的投资. a matter of opinion => matter1.
1300-1400; Language: French;Origin:Latin
opinio] [U and C]
your ideas or beliefs about a particular subjectopinion about The two women had very different opinions about drugs.opinion of What's your opinion of Cathy?opinion on He asked his wife's opinion on every important decision. It's a terrible shame, in my opinion , that the building was knocked down. The general opinion is that the new law is a good thing. Politicians should listen to popular opinion . These are just my own personal opinions . Whether or not this is useful is a matter of opinion . Everyone has the right to express an opinion . Contrary to popular opinion , chocolate is quite good for you. Jody is a person with very strong opinions .
(1), in my humble opinionathumble1
judgement or advice from a professional person about something When choosing an insurance policy it's best to get an independent opinion . My doctor says I need an operation, but I've asked for a second opinion (=advice from a second doctor to make sure that the first advice is right) . They took the painting to get an expert opinion (=an opinion from someone who knows a lot) .have a high/low/good/bad etc opinion of sb/sth
to think that someone or something is very good or very bad They have a very high opinion of Paula's work.be of the opinion (that)
to think that something is true I was firmly of the opinion that we should not give Jackson any more money.
→a difference of opinionatdifference
, be a matter of opinionatmatter1
(12), public opinion
COLLOCATES for sense 1in somebody's opiniongeneral/popular opinion
(=what most people think about something) public opinion
(=what ordinary people think about something) somebody's personal opiniondifference of opiniona matter of opinionask (for) somebody's opinionexpress/give/state an opinionstrong opinionkeep your opinions to yourself
(=not say what you really think) contrary to popular opinion
(=despite what most people think) HINT sense 1
Do not say 'according to someone's opinion'. Say either according to
someone or in
1. Below are some predictions made by Richard N. Farmer, who gave his light-hearted opinion of the "World of 2084." 下面是理查德 N·法默所作的一些预测，他以轻松愉快的心情为 “2084年的世界” 描绘了一幅充满妙趣的图画。
2. We are going to conduct a public opinion poll. 我们将进行民意测验。
3. When a Greek philosopher said 2,000 years ago that it isn't events that matter but our opinion of them, this is what he was talking about. 2,000年前的一位希腊哲学家说过，重要的不是事件本身，而是我们对事件的看法，他说的正是此意。
4. Their opinion is entirely opposite to ours. 他们的意见和我们的完全相反。
5. The opinion does not survive experience of a popular Continental camping place. 但这种说法在受人欢迎的欧洲露营地是站不住脚的。
6. The real answer in my opinion lies partly in the child himself, partly in the behaviour of the people around him. 在我看来，真正的答案部分在于孩子自己，部分在于他周围人群的行为。
7. 6.A close friend is about to get married. In your opinion, it will be a disaster. 6.一个亲密朋友快要结婚了。依你看，这将是一个灾难。
8. He is candid about his opinion. 他直言不讳。
9. "Have you ever ordered, caused, assisted, or otherwise participated in the torture of any person because of race, religion, national origin, or political opinion under the control, direct or indirect, of the Nazi Government of Germany, or of the 你是否在德国纳粹政府、或任何被纳粹德国政府占领、或与之结盟地区的政府的直接或间接控制下，因为种族、宗教、国籍或政治观点的原因，而下令、致使、帮助或以其他方式参与了对任何人的拷打吗？你曾经参与过灭绝种族的大屠杀吗？
10. A second characteristic is based on "consensus opinion" and "bottom-up direction". 第二个特点的基础是"一致共识"及"由下而上"。