adj.平常的,普通的,平凡的 n.[律] 推事,<英>[宗]罪犯的忏悔牧师
/'ɔ:dənrɪ; [US] 'ɔ:rdənerɪ; `ɔrdnɛrɪ/
1 normal; usual 平常的; 正常的; 通常的; 普通的
*an ordinary sort of day 平常的一天
* in the ordinary course of events 按照事情的正常发展
* ordinary people like you and me 你我之类的老百姓
* We were dressed up for the party but she was still in her ordinary clothes. 我们都盛装赴会, 而她却依然日常装束.
* (derog 贬) a very ordinary meal, ie nothing special 很平常的饭菜. Cf 参看 extraordinary.
2 (idm 习语) in the `ordinary way if the circumstances were usual 如果情况如常; 就通常情况而言
*In the ordinary way he would have come with us, but he's not feeling well. 在一般情况下他都和我们一起来, 只是他现在身体不太好. out of the `ordinary unusual; exceptional 不正常的; 例外的; 特殊的
*Her new house is certainly out of the ordinary. 她的新居真是不同凡响.
* His behaviour is nothing out of the ordinary, ie not unusual. 他举止没有任何反常之处.
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin: ordinarius, from ordo; ORDER1]
average, common, or usual, not different or special
It's just an ordinary camera.
The book is about ordinary people .
Art should be part of ordinary life .
It is good because it is written in friendly, ordinary language.
out of the ordinary
(=unusual or unexpected)
Anything out of the ordinary made her nervous.
in the ordinary way
BrE (=as normal)
The money is taxed as income in the ordinary way.
sb/sth is no ordinary ...
(=used to say someone or something is very special)
This is no ordinary car.
Ruiz is no ordinary prisoner.
not particularly good or impressive
I thought the paintings were pretty ordinary.
1. The fisherman realized that this was no ordinary fish. 渔夫们知道这不是一条普通的鱼.
2. The ordinary school cannot give much practical training in living. 一般的学校不可能提供很多实际的生活锻练.
3. The money I get from teaching the piano is a useful supplement to my ordinary income. 我教钢琴挣的钱是一笔很管用的外快.
4. The couple's life together was very ordinary. Peculiarly, neither ever asked "Whose job is this?" or asserted "That is not my responsibility!" Both acted to fill their needs as time and opportunity allowed. 夫妻俩的生活很平常。但很特别的一点是，他们俩都从来不问“这活该谁干？”也不说“这不是我的责任！”只要有时间、有机会，两人都会主动去帮助对方。
5. The first time I saw a psychic television commercial (通灵大师电视商业广告), I wasn't as interested in the famous people advertising the service as I was in ordinary people talking about the life-transforming psychic help they had received. 第一次看到通灵大师电视商业广告时，我对名人做广告没有多少兴趣，倒是对普通人谈论通灵大师如何帮助他们改变生活兴趣很大。
6. Newspapers exert such tremendous influence that they can not only bring about major changes to the lives of ordinary people 新闻具有巨大的威力。它们不仅可以给寻常人家的生活带来重大的变化，
7. Now that I saw these places, they looked ordinary, dirty, worn down by so many people entering and leaving them in real life, 现在我看见这些地方了，它们看上去既平常，又肮脏，还因为实际上有如此多的人进出而变得破旧不堪。
8. And ordinary holidays, when they come, are grudged as enforced interruptions in an absorbing vocation. 而通常的假期来到，他们却惋惜这假期强制打断了他们埋头从事的工作。
9. "I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary," insisted Mr. Torres as he quickly completed the task. "我并没有做什么非凡的事，"多里斯先生坚决地说，一边利索地干完了手头上的活儿。
10. Sometimes, moreover, ordinary tourists attempt to smuggle an extra bottle of alcohol. 有时也有普通的旅游者试图偷带一瓶酒出境。