ori＝to rise（升起）,to begin（开始）
1 [C, U] starting-point; source 起点; 开端; 来源
*the origins of life on earth 地球上生命的起源
* words of Latin origin 拉丁语源的词
* The origins of the custom are unknown. 该风俗起源不详.
2 [C esp pl 尤作复数] person's parentage, background, etc 血统; 背景; 出身
*He never forgot his humble origins. 他从未忘记过自己出身卑微.
n [U and C]
1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:
origine, from Latin
origo, from oriri 'to rise'
the place or situation in which something begins to existorigin of a new theory to explain the origins of the universein origin Most coughs are viral in origin. The word is French in origin. The tradition has its origins in the Middle Ages. old folk tales of unknown origincountry/place of origin
(=where something came from) All meat should be clearly labelled with its country of origin.alsoorigins [plural]
the country, race, or type of family which someone comes from
→extractionof French/German/Asian etc origin Two thirds of the pupils are of Asian origin. The form asks for information about the person's ethnic origin . Immigrants rarely return to their country of origin . She never forgot her humble origins (=low class or social position) .
1. Barrels of meat supplied to the army were stamped "EA-US", identifying the company (EA) and country of origin (US). 送到军队的肉桶上面都印有EA-US的标志，EA代表公司名，US代表原产国。
2. We must conclude from the work of those who have studied the origin of life, that 根据那些研究生命起源的人们所作的工作，我们必然得出这样的结论：
3. We must conclude from the work of those who have studied the origin of life, that 根据那些研究生命起源的人们所作的工作，我们必然得出这样的结论：
4. We must conclude from the work of those who have studied the origin of life, 根据研究生命起源的人们所作的工作，我们必然会得出这样的结论：
5. The African had a passion to keep his African origin alive. “老非洲”有一股强烈的感情，要让他的子孙后代记住他们的祖先是非洲人。
6. Their language is of unknown origin and cannot be placed within any standard classification. 他们的语言起源不明，也无法根据任何通常分类来归类。
7. "Have you ever ordered, caused, assisted, or otherwise participated in the torture of any person because of race, religion, national origin, or political opinion under the control, direct or indirect, of the Nazi Government of Germany, or of the 你是否在德国纳粹政府、或任何被纳粹德国政府占领、或与之结盟地区的政府的直接或间接控制下，因为种族、宗教、国籍或政治观点的原因，而下令、致使、帮助或以其他方式参与了对任何人的拷打吗？你曾经参与过灭绝种族的大屠杀吗？
8. Many scientists consider the Khoisan a distinct race of very ancient origin. 很多科学家认为科伊桑人是一个独立的非常古老的人种。
9. Its title was the Origin of Species, written by Charles Darwin. 书的名字叫"物种起源". 作者是查理士.达尔文.