ori＝to rise（升起）,to begin（开始）
1 [attrib 作定语] existing from the beginning; first or earliest 原始的; 最初的; 原先的; 最早的
*The Indians were the original inhabitants of North America. 印第安人是北美最早的居民.
* I prefer your original plan to this one. 我认为你原来的计画比这个好.
2 (usu approv 通常作褒义)
(a) newly created or formed; fresh 新创的; 新颖的; 创新的
*an original idea 创见
* His designs are highly original.他的设计独树一帜.
(b) able to produce new ideas; creative 有创见的; 创造性的
*an original thinker, writer, painter, etc 有创见的思想家、作家、画家等
* an original mind 有创造力的头脑.
3 painted, written, etc by the artist; not copied 创作的; 非抄袭的; 非模仿的
*The original manuscript has been lost; this is a copy. 原稿已失, 这是副本.
1 the original [C] the earliest form of sth (from which copies can be made) 原作; 原稿; 原型; 原物
*This painting is a copy; the original is in Madrid. 这幅画是复制品, 原作在马德里.
* This is a translation; the original is in French. 这是译文, 原文是法文的.
2 the original [sing] language in which sth was first written 原文（最初写作时所用的文字）
*read Homer in the original, ie in ancient Greek 读荷马的（古希腊文）原作.
3 (infml esp joc 口, 尤作戏谑语) person who thinks, behaves, dresses, etc unusually; eccentric person （思考、行为、衣着等）与众不同的人, 古怪的人
*Her Aunt Effie is certainly an original. 她的姨妈埃菲真是个怪人.
1. Well, she came with the same cargo she had on leaving James Fort, Gambia River, except that her original 140 slaves had become 98. 她与她离开冈比亚河詹姆士港口时所载的货物几乎相同，只是原来的140个奴隶现在变成了98个。
2. Would a cloned human be identical to the original? 克隆的人会和母本一模一样吗？
3. The painting has been authenticated as an original. 这幅画已被证明是真迹。
4. This kind of original painting is hard to procure. 这种油画的原作是不易弄到的。
5. The original garbage crisis occurred when people first settled down to farm and could no longer leave their places after their garbage grew too deep. 最早的垃圾危机发生在人类首次定居并开始农耕时，由于垃圾堆积过多，人们无法离开他们的住地。
6. There's the fear, for instance, that parents might clone a child for the sake of having "surplus parts" in case the original child needs an organ transplant. 例如，有人担心父母克隆孩子是为了要有"备用器官"，以备这个孩子器官移植之需。
7. The same map, in combination with ancient human bones, confirms that Africa was the birthplace of humanity and thus the starting point of the original human movements. 结合对远古人骨的研究，这一图谱证实了非洲是人类的诞生地，因而也是人类迁移的始发地。
8. There may be no less original idea than the notion that our hearts have authority over our heads. 它与感情掌管头脑的说法一样并无创见。
9. Although the concept of the theme park is closely based on the original Magic Kingdom in California and Walt Disney World in Florida, "Euro Disneyland will be unique in a manner appropriate to its European home," the company says. 尽管主题公园这一概念是以加利福尼亚州的奇妙王国和佛罗里达州的沃尔特·迪斯尼世界为基础的，但"欧洲迪斯尼乐园将具有欧洲的独特风格，"公司说。
10. Some day I am going to read Shakespeare and Bernard Shaw and Dickens and Mark Twain — all in the original! 总有一天，我会去读莎士比亚、肖伯纳、狄更斯和马克·吐温的原著！