n.(一)步,速度,步调,步法,步态 vi.踱步,缓慢的走 vt.用步测,踱步于,(马)溜花蹄
动词过去式:paced 过去分词:paced 现在分词:pacing 第三人称单数:paces
1 [C] (length of a) single step in walking or running （走或跑的）一步, 一步的距离
*only a few paces away 仅数步之外
* She took two paces forward/She advanced two paces. 她向前走了两步.
(a) speed, esp of walking or running 速度（尤指走或跑的）
*at a good, fast, slow, walking, etc pace 以很快的、快的、慢的、步行的...速度
* quicken one's pace 加速步伐
* She slowed down her pace so I could keep up with her. 她放慢脚步好让我跟上她.
* (fig 比喻) He gave up his job in advertising because he couldn't stand the pace, ie found the pressure of work too great. 他放弃了做广告的工作, 因为工作节奏太快, 他受不了.
(b) [U] rate of progress or development, esp of an activity 进步或发展的速度; （尤指）活动的速度
*the pace of change in the electronics industry 电子工业的发展速度
* This novel lacks pace, ie Its plot develops too slowly. 这部小说的节奏太慢.
3 (idm 习语) at a snail's pace => snail. force the pace => force2. keep pace (with sb/sth) move forward, develop or increase at the same rate (as sb/sth) （与某人[某事物]）并驾齐驱, 齐头并进
*He was so unfit he couldn't keep pace (with us). 他身体很不好, 跟不上（我们）.
* It's important for a firm to keep pace with changes in the market. 对一个公司来说, 能跟上市场的发展是很重要的.
* Are wages keeping pace with inflation? 工资的增长跟得上通货膨涨的速度吗? put sb/sth through his/its `paces test the ability or quality of sb/sth 考验、试验某人[某事物]的能力或质量
*The new recruits were put through their paces. 新兵正接受考验.
* put a new car through its paces 试验新汽车的性能. ,set the `pace run, walk, etc at a (usu fast) speed which others try to follow 定速度（使他人跟从）
*(fig 比喻) This company is setting the pace (ie is the most successful) in the home computer market. 这家公司在国内计算机市场上是先行者.
1 (a) [Ipr, Ip] walk with slow or regular steps 缓慢而行; 以规律的步伐行走; 踱
*He paced up and down (the platform), waiting for the train.他（在月台上）踱来踱去等候火车.
(b) [Tn] walk backwards and forwards across (sth) in this way 来回或前後缓慢而有规律地走动; 来回踱步
*The prisoner paced the floor of his cell. 那犯人在牢房里来回地走着.
2 [Tn] set a speed for (a runner, rider, etc in a race) （为速度赛的参赛者）定速度.
3 (phr v) pace sth off/out measure sthby taking regular steps across it 以步数测量某物
*She paced out the length of the room. 她用步子测量了房间的长度.
prep (Latin 拉) with respect to (a specified person) who does not or may not agree 请（可能与自己意见不同的人）原谅.
Goodyear Aerospace Corporation was the aerospace and defense subsidiary of Goodyear.
1. But as we started out, he always said, "You set the pace. I will try to adjust to you." 但每次出门时，他总说："你按你的步速走，我跟着你。"
2. By going for next-generation technology now, Vietnamese telecommunications officials say they'll be able to keep pace with anyone in Asia for decades. 由于现在就选用了下一代的技术，越南负责通信的官员说他们能够在数十年中与亚洲的任何一个国家保持同步。
3. We quickened our pace and made our way rapidly towards the stream. 我们加快了脚步，向那条小溪快速走去.
4. With this pace, I lived in low-grade terror — and I was only a part-time worker. 生活在这种节奏下，我提心吊胆，好在我只是兼职。
5. There is no reason to believe that this pace will slacken. 没有理由使人们相信这个速度会变慢。
6. There is no reason to believe that this pace will slacken. 没有理由使人们相信这个速度会变慢。
7. Turning back down the main street, we quickened our pace and made our way rapidly towards the stream where we hoped the boatman was waiting. 便掉转身子，沿着那条主要街道加快步伐，快速地朝深溪边走去，希望船夫还在那儿等着我们。
8. He is forever talking about the closeness to nature and the gentle pace of living. 他总是把与大自然的接近和安详的生活喋喋不休地谈。
9. He is forever talking about the friendly people, the clean atmosphere, the closeness to nature and the gentle pace of living. 他滔滔不绝地大谈友好的农民，洁净的空气，贴近大自然的环境和悠闲的生活节奏。
10. At such times I put my hand on his arm to regain my balance, and say, "You set the pace. I will try to adjust to you." 每逢此时，我就设想我将手搭在他的臂上，重新找回我自己的平衡，我会说："你按你的步速走，我跟着你。"