(a) (US usu 美式英语通常作 package) small paper or cardboard container in which goods are packed for selling （包装商品的）小包, 小盒, 小袋
*a packet of biscuits, cigarettes, tea, etc 一小包饼乾、香烟、茶叶等.
(b) small package or parcel 用小包、小箱、小盒所盛之物; 小包裹.
2 [sing] (infml 口) large amount of money (used esp in the expressions shown) 大笔款项（尤用于以下示例）
*make (ie earn) a packet 挣一大笔钱
* cost (sb) a packet 花（某人）一大笔钱.
3 [C] (also `packet-boat) boat that carries mail and passengers on a fixed short route （短途）定期邮船, 班轮.
4 (idm 习语) cop a packet => cop2.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Some things in shops are sold in packets (US pack) 商店中某些商品以packet（小包装）形式出售（美式英语用pack）
*a packet of sweets, crisps, cigarettes 小包的糖果、炸土豆片、香烟
* a six-pack of beer 半打装啤酒. Note that a packet/pack of cigarettes contains some cigarettes but a cigarette packet/pack may be empty. 注意a packet/pack of cigarettes（一盒香烟）有一定数量的香烟, 而a cigarette packet/pack（一个香烟盒）可能是空的. A parcel (US also package) is something wrapped, often in brown paper, so that it can be sent by post. *parcel（美式英语亦作package）指包起来（常指用牛皮纸包裹）邮寄的物品
*The postman rang the bell because he had a parcel/package to deliver. 邮递员按门铃叫门投递包裹. A package in British English is usually carried and not sent. 英式英语中package通常指携带的而不是寄送的包裹. Packaging is the material used to wrap and protect products sold in shops or sent through the post. *packaging是指商店售出商品或邮递物品的包装材料.
1400-1500; Language: Anglo-French;Origin:
pacquet, from pack]a)BrE
a container made of paper, plastic, or cardboard
that something is sold inpacket of a packet of envelopes a packet of cigarettes a cereal packetespecially BrE
a small flat package that is sent by post or delivered to someone Paul tore open the packet as soon as it arrived.
→pay packetcost a packetBrE informal
to cost a lot of money I bet that car cost him a packet.technical
a quantity of information that is sent as a single unit from one computer to another on a network or on the Internet
1. Every time a packet left her hands, the hateful yellow face of the officer who had taken her son away flared up in her mind. 每当一小捆传单从她手中发出去时，她的脑海中就会闪现出那个把她儿子带走的军官那张可恶的黄色的脸。
2. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket. 每当我从口袋里拿出一包糖果时，他们就毫不掩饰地取笑我。
3. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket. 每当我从口袋里掏出一包糖果时，他们都毫不掩饰地表现出他们对此感到非常好笑。
4. He squatted down to peep into the basket and a packet of leaflets passed into the breast of his jacket. 他蹲下来，向筐里瞥了一眼，一捆传单就塞进了上衣前襟。