n.栅栏,界线,范围,(围篱用的)尖板条 adj.苍白的,暗淡的,无力的 vi.变苍白,失色 vt.使变苍白,使失色,用栅栏围
形容词比较级:paler 最高级:palest 名词:paleness 副词:palely 动词过去式:paled 过去分词:paled 现在分词:paling 第三人称单数:pales
adj (-r, -est)
1 (of a person, his face, etc) having little colour; having less colour than usual （指人、面色等）苍白的, 气色不如平时的
*She has a pale complexion. 她面色苍白.
* Are you feeling all right? You look rather pale. 你身体好吗? 你气色不太好.
* He went/turned deathly pale at the news. 他得知这一消息後, 吓得面如土色.
* pale with anger, fear, shock, etc 气得、吓得、震惊得...脸色发白.
2 (a) (of colours) not bright or vivid （指颜色）浅的, 淡的, 暗淡的
*pale blue eyes 淡蓝色的眼睛
* a pale sky 灰蒙蒙的天空.
(b) (of light) dim; faint （指光）微弱的, 暗淡的
*the pale light of dawn 晨曦的微光.
1 [I, Ipr] ~ (with sth) (at sth) become pale 变苍白
*She paled with shock at the news. 她听到那消息大惊失色.
2 (phr v) pale before, beside, etc sth become less important in comparison with sth 相形见绌; 相形失色
*Her beauty pales beside her mother's. 她的美貌和她母亲相比就逊色了.
* Their other problems paled into insignificance beside this latest catastrophe. 最近发生这一灾祸後, 他们其他的问题都显得无关重要了.
1 (a) pointed piece of wood forming part of a fence; stake （围栏的）尖木条.
(b) fence or boundary 篱笆; 栅栏; 界限.
2 (idm 习语) be,yond the `pale considered unacceptable or unreasonable by people in general 越轨的; 社会不容的
*Those remarks he made were quite beyond the pale. 他说的那些话太出圈了.
1. Then she heard his step on the stairs, and she turned pale for just a moment. 接着,她听到楼梯上响起了吉姆的脚步声,有一小会儿,她脸色变得苍白.
2. The staff still refers to patients as "fresh hearts" because they arrive from surgery cold and pale. 工作人员仍旧把病人叫做"新的心脏"，因为他们刚下手术台时深度昏迷，面色苍白。
3. He looked pale and his clothes were in a frightful state. 他看上去脸色苍白，浑身衣服脏乱不堪。
4. He looked pale and his clothes were in a frightful state. 他面色苍白，衣服也搞得不成样子。
5. He turned a little pale, for he had been saving just that sum to buy a gun and treat himself to a little hunting trip the following summer. 他的脸有些发白。这个数目恰好是他积存已久，准备买一支猎枪的钱。有了枪，他就可以在来年的夏天外出打猎，享受一番。
6. And unfortunately, he looked much younger with his curly red hair, smooth pale skin, and the splash of orange freckles across his nose. 更糟的是, 由于他那头红色的鬈发、光洁白晰的皮肤以及鼻子两边一片桔黄色的雀斑, 他看上去比我年轻了很多。
7. Manya´s face went pale. 玛妮雅脸色变得苍白，
8. Old Maggie was looking very pale and old. 老马吉看上去脸色苍白，显得很老。
9. It was not the sort of bright yellow sun making everything lift up at the edges, almost in fear, that I was used to, but a pale yellow sun, as if the sun had grown weak from trying too hard to shine; but still it was sunny. 这不是那种我所习惯的、使每一样东西的边缘几乎是颤巍巍地向上翘的那种金黄色的太阳，而是那种淡黄的、好象是一个因过分卖力地想发出灿烂的光芒而变得软弱无力的太阳，但它毕竟也是灿烂的。