1 [attrib 作定语] relating to one person or thing rather than others; individual 个别的; 个人的
*in this particular case 在此个别情况中
* his particular problems 他个人的问题
* Is there any particular colour you would prefer? 你有什么特别喜欢的颜色吗?
2 [attrib 作定语] more than usual; special; exceptional 非一般的; 特别的; 特殊的
*a matter of particular importance 特别重要的事情
* for no particular reason 无特殊原因
* She took particular care not to overcook the meat. 她特别小心不把肉烹调过火.
* He is a particular friend of mine. 他是我的特殊朋友.
3 ~ (about/over sth) giving close attention to detail; difficult to please; fussy 非常讲究的; 难以满足的; 挑剔的; 吹毛求疵的
*She's very particular about what she wears. 她对衣着很讲究.
* She's a very particular person. 她这个人很挑剔.
* particular about cleanliness, money matters, one's appearance 对清洁、钱财、个人仪表很认真.
4 (idm 习语) in par`ticular especially or specifically尤其; 特别
*The whole meal was good but the wine in particular was excellent. 整顿饭都很好, 尤其是葡萄酒更好.
* `Is there anything in particular you'd like for dinner?' `No, nothing in particular.' ｀正餐你有什么特别喜欢的菜吗?｀没有, 什么都行. ＇
n (often pl 常作复数) piece of information; detail; fact 信息; 细节; 事项
*Her account is correct in every particular/all particulars. 她的帐目笔笔无误.
* He gave full particulars of the stolen property. 他详细列出全部被盗的财物.
* The policewoman wrote down his particulars, ie his name, address, etc. 女警记下了他的个人资料.
In philosophy, particulars are concrete entities existing in space and time as opposed to abstractions. There are, however, theories of abstract particulars or tropes.