1 causing one to feel pity or sadness 招人怜悯的; 可悲的
*pathetic cries for help 求助的哀怜呼号
* the pathetic sight of starving children 饥童悲惨可悯的样子
* His tears were pathetic to witness. 他的眼泪引起在场人的怜悯.
2 (infml 口) extremely inadequate; contemptible 极不足的; 可鄙的
*a pathetic attempt, performance, excuse 极不充分的尝试、表现、藉口
* You're pathetic! Can't you even boil an egg? 你可真没用! 连鸡蛋都不会煮吗?
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: French;Origin: pathétique, from Latin, from Greek, from paschein 'to suffer']
something or someone that is pathetic is so useless, unsuccessful, or weak that they annoy you
You're pathetic! Here, let me do it.
I know it sounds pathetic now, but at the time I was frightened.
Vic made a pathetic attempt to apologise.
making you feel pity or sympathy
The child looked a pathetic sight.
1. It was pathetic to watch her condition deteriorate day by day. 看着她的健康状况日益恶化真是可怜。
2. It was pathetic to watch her condition deteriorate day by day. 看着她的健康状况日益恶化真是可怜。