动词过去式:paid 过去分词:paid 现在分词:paying 第三人称单数:pays
1 money paid for regular work 工资; 薪金
*an increase in pay/a pay increase 加薪
* He doesn't like the job, but the pay is good. 他不喜欢那工作, 但薪水很高.
* (infml 口) What's the pay like (ie How much are you paid) in your job? 你挣多少钱?
* [attrib 作定语] pay negotiations 工资谈判. =>Usage at income 用法见 income.
2 (idm 习语) in the pay of sb/sth (derog 贬) employed by sb/sth, esp secretly 受雇于某人[某事物]（尤指秘密工作）
*a spy in the pay of the enemy 敌人收买的间谍.
v (pt, pp paid)
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ (sb) (for sth); ~ sth (to sb) (for sth) give (sb) money (for goods, services, etc) 付钱给（某人）（作为货物、服务等的费用）
*My firm pays well, ie pays high wages. 我公司工酬优厚.
* Are you paying in cash or by cheque? 你用现款还是用支票支付?
* They tried to leave the restaurant without paying (for their meal). 他们不付饭钱就要溜走.
* Her parents paid for her to go (ie paid the cost of her travel) to America.她去美国的旅费是父母给的.
* Have you paid the milkman this week? 这星期给送奶人钱了吗?
* pay sb by the hour/by the job 计时[计件]给某人付酬
* How much did you pay for your house? 你买房花了多少钱?
* We paid
50000 for our house. 我们买房花了5万英镑.
* You haven't paid me the money you owe me. 你欠我的钱还没还给我呢.
* She paid a dealer
2000 for that car. 她用2千英镑从汽车行买的这辆汽车.
* Have you paid that money to the bank yet? 你把那笔钱付给银行了吗?
* You're not paid to sit around doing nothing! 花钱雇你来可不是让你光坐着不干活的!
(b) [Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) give (what is owed); hand over the amount of sth 还; 偿还; 缴付
*pay taxes, rates, rent, etc 纳税、交地方税、缴租
* pay a bill, debt, fine, subscription, etc 付帐、还债、缴罚款、交订费
* He paid the terrorist a ransom of
50000 for his kidnapped son. 他为救出被绑架的儿子向恐怖分子交付了5万英镑的赎金.
* Membership fees should be paid to the club secretary. 会费应交给俱乐部秘书.
2 (a) [I] (of a business, etc) be profitable （指商业等）有利可图, 有收益
*The shop closed because it didn't pay. 该店因不赚钱而关闭.
* It's difficult to make sheep farming pay here. 养羊业在这里难有收益.
(b) [I, Tn] be advantageous or profitable to (sb) 对（某人）有利或有好处
*Crime doesn't pay. 犯罪是得不偿失的.
* It would pay (you) to use an accountant. 雇会计划得来.
* It pays to be honest with the taxman. 纳税诚实不吃亏.
3 (idm 习语) expenses paid => expense. give/pay lip-service to sth => lip-service (lip). he who ,pays the ,piper ,calls the `tune (saying 谚) the person who provides the money for sth should control how it is spent 花钱的人说话算数. pay attention (to sb/sth) listen carefully to sb/sth; take notice of sb/sth 仔细听某人说的话[某事物]; 注意某人[某事物]
*Pay attention when I'm talking to you! 我跟你说话的时候, 你要留心听!
* pay attention to one's teacher 注意听老师讲课. pay sb a compliment/pay a compliment to sb praise sb about sth 就某事物夸奖某人. pay court to sb (becoming dated 渐旧) treat (esp a woman) with great respect or admiration in order to gain favour 向（尤指女人）献殷勤; 讨好; 求爱. pay `dividends produce benefits or advantages 产生效益; 得到好处
*I suggest you take more exercise; I think you'll find it pays dividends, ie it will make you fitter. 我建议你多运动, 多运动你就会觉得有好处. pay heed (to sb/sth) take careful notice of sb/sth; heed sb/sth 注意某人[某事物]
*She paid no heed to our warnings. 她不把我们的警告放在心上. pay sb (back) in his own/the same `coin punish sb for treating one badly, by treating him in the same way 以其人之道还治其人之身. pay/settle an old score => old. pay the `penalty (for sth/doing sth) suffer because of wrongdoing, misfortune or an error 因过失、不幸或缪误而受苦或受害
*I'm paying the penalty for drinking too much last night; I've got a dreadful headache! 昨晚我酒喝得太多真是自讨苦吃, 现在头疼得很厉害! pay a/the `price (for sth) suffer a disadvantage or loss in return for sth one has gained 为所得付出代价
*Our troops recaptured the city, but they paid a heavy price for it, ie many were killed. 我军收复了该市, 但为此付出了沉重代价. pay one's re`spects (to sb) (fml 文) visit sb as a sign of respect for him 探望某人以示敬意; 拜访; 拜见
*Please pay my respects to your mother. 请代我向伯母致意.
* Hundreds came to pay their last respects to the dead president, eg by attending his funeral. 数以百计的人前来向总统遗体告别. pay through the `nose (for sth) (infml 口) pay too much or a lot of money for sth 为某事物花钱过多. pay
(a) tribute to sb/sth express one's admiration or respect for sb/sth 对某人[某事物]表示赞赏或敬意
*His colleagues paid generous tributes to the outgoing president. 同事们纷纷向即将卸任的总裁致敬. pay sb/sth a visit visit sb/sth 访问某人; 参观某处. pay one's/its `way (of a person, business, etc) support oneself/itself with money one/it has earned （指人）挣钱维持生活; （指企业）赢利维持营业. put `paid to sth (infml 口) stop or destroy sth 结束或毁掉某事物
*Coming to work drunk put paid to her hopes of promotion. 她上班总是醉醺醺的, 把晋升的希望都失去了. rob Peter to pay Paul => rob. there'll be the devil to pay => devil1. there will be/was hell to pay => hell. you ,pays your ,money and you ,takes your `choice (infml catchphrase 口, 警语) one should choose whatever alternative course of action, explanation etc, one wants, since any one is as good as any other 你花钱, 你挑选（谁都一样碰运气）.
4 (phr v) pay sb back (sth); pay sth back return (money) to sb that one has borrowed from him 还（钱）给某人
*Have you paid (me) back the money you owe me yet? 你向我借的钱还（给我）了吗?
* I'll pay you back next week. 我下星期还给你. pay sb back (for sth) punish sb or get one's revenge 惩罚某人; 报复
*I'll pay him back for the trick he played on me. 他对我使坏, 我得治治他.
"You Will Have To Pay" is a 1945 song by Tex Ritter. "You Will Have To Pay" would be Tex Ritter's final number one on Juke Box Folk chart, staying at the top for three weeks .
1. But few foreign graduates came home to "pay their pledge", as Nehru had put it. 但是只有寥寥无几的海外留学生像尼赫鲁所说的那样学成后回国"履行他们的诺言"。
2. But I would love to be able to pay for some of my living and not have to go through an embarrassing situation every time I need a spare part for my wheelchair. 但我很想自己负担部分生活费用，不必在每次需要为轮椅买点配件时都去尴尬地求人。
3. Wisdom is a good purchase though we pay dear for it . 为了求知识，代价虽高也值得。
4. We´ll have to pay them something on account. 我们得先还他们一点欠款。
5. We don´t just pay money for these wretched sties. 住这些破烂猪圈我们付出的不仅仅是钱，
6. We pay with our lives!" 我们付出的是生命！”
7. When someone "has a feeling" about someone else, people more often laugh than pay attention. 当一个人对另一个人“有某种感觉”时，人们更多的是付之一笑，而不会太在意。
8. Whether you're a junior school student or a young adult at college, get caught cheating and you'll pay the price — usually a very high one. 不管你是初中生还是年轻的大学生，一旦被发现有作弊行为，你就得付出代价--而且往往是惨痛的代价。
9. They did not pay any attention. In the end I could not bear it. 他们却毫不理睬。到后来我忍无可忍.
10. They did not pay any attention. In the end I could not bear it. 他们却毫不理睬。到后来我忍无可忍.