1 (a) odd or strange 奇怪的; 奇异的; 罕有的
*a peculiar taste, smell, noise, etc 怪异的口味、气味、噪音等
* a peculiar feeling that one has been here before 似曾来过这里的奇怪感觉
* My keys have disappeared it's most peculiar! 我的钥匙不见了--这可太奇怪了! Cf 参看 funny peculiar (funny).
(b) (of people) eccentric （指人）怪僻的, 古怪的
*He's a bit peculiar! 他有点怪!
* her rather peculiar behaviour 她那颇古怪的行为.
2 (infml 口) unwell 不舒服的
*I'm feeling rather peculiar I think I'll lie down for a while. 我觉得不太舒服--我想躺一会儿.
3 [pred 作表语] ~ to sb/sth
(a) belonging only to sb/sth 独有; 独特
*an accent peculiar to the north of the region 该地北部独特的口音
* a flavour peculiar to food cooked on an open fire 明火炙烤食物独有的味道
* a species of bird peculiar to Asia 亚洲独有的鸟种.
(b) used or practised only by sb/sth 专用的; 特有的
*customs peculiar to the 18th century 18世纪特有的风俗习惯
* slang peculiar to medical students 医学院学生的专用俚语.
4 [attrib 作定语] special or particular 专门的; 特别的
*a matter of peculiar interest 特别使人感兴趣的事
* his own peculiar way of doing things 他自己专门的做事方法.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin: peculiaris 'of private property, special', from peculium 'private property', from pecu 'cattle']
strange, unfamiliar, or a little surprising
There was a peculiar smell in the kitchen.
Something peculiar is going on.
It seems very peculiar that no one noticed Kay had gone.
be peculiar to sb/sth
if something is peculiar to a particular person, place, or situation, it is a feature that only belongs to that person or only exists in that place or situation
The problem of racism is not peculiar to this country.
behaving in a strange and slightly crazy way
He's been a little peculiar lately.
She's a very peculiar child.
feel peculiar/come over all peculiar
BrE informal to feel slightly ill
1. These peculiar forms not only seemed designed to shock people emotionally, but to give them electric shocks as well! 这些奇异的造型设计，似乎不仅用来在感情上给人们以强烈的刺激，而且也给人们以电休克的刺激。
2. These peculiar forms not only seemed designed to shock people emotionally, 好像设计这些奇形怪状的展品不仅是为了给人感情上的强烈刺激，
3. The next morning she saw he had written below her message: "Wife, I missed you. You thought I was asleep, but I was just resting my eyes and thinking about that peculiar woman who talked to us in church a long time ago. 第二天早晨，她看到他在她的留言下面写道：“老婆，我想念你。你以为我睡着了，可是我只是合合眼，心里却还在想那位很久以前在教堂对我们说了一番话的怪老太太呢。
4. He showed that the average individual´s sleep cycle is punctuated with peculiar bursts of eye-movements, 他指出，平常人的睡眠周期中不时伴有一阵阵奇怪的眼球队活动，
5. Antique shops exert a peculiar fascination on a great many people. 古玩店对许多人来说有一种特殊的魅力。
6. "How peculiar," I thought, "to have your life saved by fried chicken. I saw eternity; they saw food." "多奇怪啊，"我心中暗道，"竟然是炸鸡救了我的命。当时我看见了死亡，而他们看见了食物。"
7. And this same peculiar scene was acted out twice a day, every day, for more than a year. 此后的一年里，这一同样的古怪现象每天出现两次，天天如此。
8. Some time ago, however, a peculiar fish was caught near Madagascar. 然而，不久前，在马达加斯加岛附近的地方捕获了一条奇怪的鱼。
9. Some time ago, however, a peculiar fish was caught near Madagascar. 然而不久前，在马达加斯加附近的海里却捕到了一条奇怪的鱼。
10. My keys have disappeared it´s most peculiar! 我的钥匙不见了--这可太奇怪了!