名词:performer 动词过去式:performed 过去分词:performed 现在分词:performing 第三人称单数:performs 形容词:performable
1 [Tn] do (a piece of work, sth one is ordered to do, sth one has agreed to do) 做, 执行, 履行（某事）
*perform a task, one's duty, a miracle 执行任务、履行义务、做出奇迹
* perform an operation to save his life 动手术挽救他的生命.
2 [I, Ipr, Tn] act (a play), play (a piece of music) or do (tricks) to entertain an audience 表演（戏剧）; 演奏（音乐）; 表演（戏法）
*They are performing his play/piano concerto tonight. 他们今晚演出他的剧[钢琴协奏曲].
* watch sb perform 看某人表演
* perform skilfully on the flute 熟练地吹奏横笛
* perform live on television 电视实况演出 *performing seals in a circus 在马戏团里表演驯海豹.
3 [I](with an adv 与副词连用) (of a machine, an invention, etc) work or function （指机器等）工作, 运转; （指发明等）运用, 使用
*How is the new car performing? 新汽车性能如何?
* The new drug has performed well in tests. 那种新药试验效果不错.
4 [Tn] act in an official way (at sth) 正式进行, 施行（某事）
*perform a ceremony, rite, ritual, etc 举行典礼、仪式等.
1300-1400; Language: Anglo-French;Origin:
performer, from Old French
perfournir, from fournir 'to complete'
] [I and T]
to do something to entertain people, for example by acting a play or playing a piece of music Chenier and the band are performing at the Silver Palace tomorrow. The children perform two plays each school year. [T]
to do something, especially something difficult or useful
= carry out Surgeons performed an emergency operation. The official opening ceremony was performed by Princess Margaret.perform a study/experiment/analysis etc An analysis of the survey data was performed.perform a task/job/duty She was fired for not performing the duties outlined in her contract.perform a function/role software that performs a specific function The leadership cannot be expected to perform miracles (=improve a situation in a way that seems impossible) .perform well/badly etca)
to work or do something well, badly etc
→underperform Many religious schools perform well academically. The team performed poorly on Saturday.b)
if a product, business etc performs well or badly, it makes a lot of money or very little money The economy is performing well.
HINT sense 1
To talk about playing a particular part in a play, film etc, use play
not perform:John Wayne played (NOT performed) a Roman soldier in the film.
1. But these early misgivings were not shared by everyone, and, in May 1968, one of Britain´s most eminent cardiac surgeons, Donald Ross, decided to perform the operation on 45-year-old Frederick West. 但是，并不是所有人都怀有这种疑问。1968年5月，作为英国最著名的心脏外科医生之一的唐纳德·威斯决定给四十五岁的弗雷德里克·韦斯特进行心脏移植手术。
2. Because females do not have this tendency (this brain division is known to be influenced by male sex chemicals), girls who perform well in mathematics are doing so because they are superior in their overall mental development. 因为女性不具备这种趋势（人脑的这种分工已知是男性激素影响的结果），数学好的女孩是因为她们的整体智力发育很好。
3. It is extremely difficult to estimate the true value of the services which people perform for us. 但要估算别人为我们为所提供的服务的价值却是极其困难的。
4. They always perform their duties faithfully. 他们总是忠实地履行自己的职责。
5. Yes,I got a good surgeon to perform the operation. 是的, 我找一位好的外科医师动那个手术.
6. Just as many excellent instructors may not be effective online facilitators, not all students have the necessary qualities to perform well online. 具备上述素质的人能够成为优秀的网络学生。
7. It may not be fair, but many people forget the valuable services the officers perform. 这不太公正，但很多人还是会忽略海关官员所作的宝贵贡献。