名词:permittee 动词过去式:permitted 过去分词:permitted 现在分词:permitting 第三人称单数:permits
miss,mit＝to send（送）,to throw（投;掷）
v (-tt-) (fml 文)
1 [Tn, Tg, Dn.n, Dn.t] give permission for (sth); allow 允许, 许可, 容许（某事物）
*Dogs are not permitted in the building. 不得携狗进入楼内.
* We do not permit smoking in the office. 在我们的办公室里不准吸烟.
* The prisoners were permitted two hours' exercise a day. 允许犯人每天有两小时户外活动.
* Permit me to explain. 容我解释一下.
* The council will not permit you to build here. 委员会不会允许你们在这一带搞建筑.
2 [I, Tn, Cn.t] make (sth) possible 使（某事物）有可能性
*I'll come tomorrow, weather permitting, ie if the weather doesn't prevent me. 要是天气许可, 我明天一定来.
* The new road system permits the free flow of traffic at all times. 新的道路系统可使车辆在任何时候都畅通无阻.
* The windows permit light and air to enter. 这些窗户采光及通风性能良好. 3[Ipr no passive 不用于被动语态] (esp in negative sentences尤用于否定句) ~ of sth admit sth as possible; tolerate 认可; 容忍
*The situation does not permit of any delay. 情势刻不容缓.
n official document that gives sb the right to do sth, esp to go somewhere 许可证; （尤指）通行证
*You cannot enter a military base without a permit. 无通行证者不得擅入军事基地.
1. The greatly increased volume and speed of data transmission that these technologies permit can be compared to the way in which a highway with many lanes allows more cars to move at faster speeds than a two-lane highway — hence, the information superh 这些技术使得数据传送的容量和速度大大提高。这种情况可与一条高速公路相比，多车道比双车道能使更多的车以更高的速度行驶 -- 信息高速公路由此得名。
2. To the degree that we accept and allow such treatment we buy the ageist assumptions that permit this treatment. 我们接受并容忍这样的对待，就是接纳了默许这种做法的年龄歧视。
3. Have you a permit to fish in this lake? 你有在这湖中钓鱼的许可证吗？
4. "Berlin, December 4: Got my passport and official permit( 许可)to leave tomorrow. "柏林，12月4日：拿到护照和明天离境的官方许可。
5. Autumn's parents didn't permit her to date and insisted Autumn attend Japanese school on Saturdays. 秋的父母不让她去约会。他们还坚持要秋星期六也得去上日语课。
6. She had the delicacy to move away to permit the lovers a moment of privacy. 她知趣地走开, 让那对情人能单独待一会儿。
7. She wore a green pendant suspended from midnight to 4 a.m. to permit repairs. 她戴了一个绿色饰物，是悬挂在银链上的。
8. I dropped in at our local police station and in less than two hours received my "resident permit", good for two years. 我只是顺道去了一下我们当地的警署，不到2小时就拿到了有效期为2年的"居住证"。
9. I chose "Low Cost Movers", checking to make sure they had a permit and were insured（保险）. 我选了"廉价搬家公司"，还仔仔细细地查看了一番，为的是要弄清楚他们是确有执照并保了险的。