1 (a) [U] search for knowledge and understanding of the nature and meaning of the universe and of human life 哲学
*moral philosophy, ie study of the principles on which human behaviour is based; ethics 伦理学.
(b) [C] any particular set or system of beliefs resulting from this search for knowledge 哲学体系
*the philosophy of Aristotle 亚里士多德的哲学体系
* conflicting philosophies 互相矛盾的哲学体系.
2 [C] set of beliefs or an outlook on life that is a guiding principle for behaviour 人生哲学; 生活的信念或原则
*a man without a philosophy of life 没有生活信念的人
* Enjoy yourself today and don't worry about tomorrow that's my philosophy! 且享今朝乐, 莫管明朝愁--这就是我的人生哲学!
3 [U] calm quiet attitude towards life even in the face of suffering, danger, etc 即使面对困苦、危险等, 对生活仍持冷静沉着的态度; 达观
*The philosophy of the prisoners during their worst sufferings impressed even their captors. 俘虏们在最困苦时仍处之泰然, 连捉住他们的人都深有感触.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
philosophie, from Latin
, from Greek
, from philosophos 'philosopher'
, from phil- ( PHILANDER
) + sophia 'knowledge'
the study of the nature and meaning of existence, truth, good and evil, etc Emma studies philosophy at university.philosophy of the philosophy of science[C]
the views of a particular philosopher or group of philosophersphilosophy of the philosophy of Aristotle[C]
the attitude or set of ideas that guides the behaviour of a person or organization The company explained their management philosophy. The idea that you should treat others as you would like them to treat you is a fine philosophy of life .
1. Ethics is a branch of philosophy. 伦理学是哲学的一个分支。
2. Even his opponents were compelled to admit that he was a man of profound learning: and this not merely in his special field of economics, but also in history, philosophy, and the literature of all countries. 即使是他的对手们也不得不承认他是一个学识渊博的人：这不仅是指他的经济学专业领域，而且还包括历史、哲学以及各国的文学。
3. That philosophy guided him through 17 years of steady advancement. 那种人生哲学指引他十七年来稳步得到提升。
4. "Our philosophy here is that blind people can do just about anything except drive buses," said a Lighthouse staff member who tries to help place blind people in jobs. "我们的观点是，除了开车以外，盲人完全有能力胜任任何工作。"一位一直在努力帮盲人找工作的"灯塔"员工如是说。
5. My father´s philosophy is to work hard and be kind to others. 我父亲的处世哲学是：努力工作，与人为善。
6. My philosophy of life is work . (Thomas Alva Edison , American inventor) 我的人生哲学就是工作。 (美国发明家 爱迪生 . T . A .)
7. One can draw examples from genius in any field, from religion, philosophy, and literature to art and music, even in mathematics, science, and technical invention, although these are often thought to depend only on logic and experiment. 无论是宗教、哲学、文学，还是艺术、音乐，甚至数学、科学，以及技术发明，在任何领域的天才人物身上，我们都能找到这样的例子，虽然人们常常认为数学、科学，以及技术发明所依赖的仅仅是逻辑和实验。
8. Less important than ever is developing a meaningful philosophy of life." 而培养一种有意义的人生哲学, 则比过去任何时候更显得不那么重要了。" 这一情况并不让人感到惊奇。