n.程度,斜度,树脂,投掷,定调,(船只)前后颠簸,倾斜,沥青 vt.投,掷,向前倾跌,定位于,用沥青涂,扎营 vi.搭帐篷,投掷,坠落,倾斜
动词过去式:pitched 过去分词:pitched 现在分词:pitching 第三人称单数:pitches
1 black substance made from coal tar, turpentine or petroleum which is sticky and semi-liquid when hot, and hard when cold, and is used to fill in cracks or spaces, eg between the planks of a floor or of a ship's deck, to make roofs waterproof, etc 沥青.
2 (idm 习语) black as ink/pitch => black.
1 [Tn] erect and fix in place (a tent or camp), esp for a short time 搭（帐篷）, 扎（营）（尤指临时）
*They pitched camp on the moor for the night. 他们在高沼地搭帐篷过夜. Cf 参看 strike2 11.
2 [Tn.pr, Cn.a]
(a) (in music) set in a certain pitch3(3a) or key （音乐）定调
*The song is pitched too low for me. 这歌起调太低, 我唱不了.
* pitch sth in a higher key 把某乐曲的调子定高一些
* a high-/low-pitched voice 高[低]嗓音
* (fig 比喻) pitch one's hopes high 把希望定得很高.
(b) (fig 比喻) express (sth) in a particular style or at a particular level 以某形式、风格或水平表达（某事物）
*The programme was pitched at just the right level. 大纲所定水平恰到好处.
* an explanation pitched at a simple level so that a child could understand it 使用浅显的解释以便于儿童理解
* pitch sth a bit high/strong, ie exaggerate 表达某事略过甚其词.
3 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sb/sth to) fall heavily, esp forwards or outwards （使某人[某物]）重重倒下（尤指向前或向外）
*He pitched (forward) on his head. 他（向前）一头栽倒.
* The car hit the child and she pitched over backwards. 汽车把那孩子撞了, 她重重向後倒下.
* The carriage overturned and the passengers (were) pitched out. 马车翻了, 车上的人都（被）摔出来了.
4 [I, Ip] (of a ship or an aircraft) move up and down on the water or in the air （指船或飞行器）颠簸
*The ship pitched and rolled and many passengers were sick. 那轮船颠簸摇晃, 很多乘客头晕恶心. Cf 参看 roll2 6.
5 [Tn, Tn.pr] throw (sb/sth) in the specified direction; toss 将（某人[某物]）向某方向投、掷、扔或抛
*Let's pitch out the troublemakers. 把这些捣乱分子赶出去.
* pitch a stone into the river 向河中扔石头
* People just pitch their rubbish over the wall. 人们径直把垃圾扔过墙去.
6 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn.p] (in cricket) (cause the ball to) strike the ground near or around the wicket （板球戏中）（使投出的球）在三柱门附近触地
*The ball was pitched short. 投的球是短球.
* pitch the ball up a bit 把球投高一点.
(b) [I, Tn] (in baseball) throw (the ball) to the batter （棒球戏中）将（球）投给击球员.
7 [Tn] (infml 口) tell (a story) or give (an excuse) 讲（故事）; 使用（藉口）
*They pitched a yarn about finding the jewels. 他们编了一个找到宝石的故事.
8 (phr v) pitch in; pitch into sth (infml 口)
(a) start working energetically 使劲地干起来
*They all pitched in and soon finished the job. 大家七手八脚, 工作很快就完成了.
* They pitched into the work immediately. 他们立刻干了起来.
(b) eat (sth) with a good appetite 大吃（某物）
*We had prepared supper for the team and they all pitched in. 我们给队员准备了晚餐, 他们全都大吃起来.
* They pitched into the meal. 他们大吃了一顿. pitch into sb (infml 口) attack sb violently猛烈攻击某人. pitch in (with sth) offer help or support主动帮助或支持
*They pitched in with contributions of money. 他们主动捐款支援此事.
1 [C] (sport 体)
(a) (in cricket) part of the ground between the wickets （板球的）球场. =>illus at cricket 见cricket插图.
(b) (in football, hockey,etc) area of ground marked out for a game; sports ground or field （足球、曲棍球等的）球场. =>illus at Association football (association) 见Association football (association)插图.
(a) act or process of throwing sth; toss 投; 掷; 扔; 抛.
(b) (in cricket) way in which the ball is bowled （板球的）投球
*a full pitch, ie a bowled ball that does not bounce before reaching the batsman 全场球（投出的球直至击球员, 中间不落地）.
(c) (in baseball) act or manner of throwing the ball （棒球的）投球.
(a) degree of highness or lowness of a musical note or a voice （音符或嗓音的）高度; 音高
*give the pitch 定出音高
* have absolute/perfect pitch, ie the ability to recognize or reproduce the pitch of a note 有绝对[完全]音高感（对一乐音音高的识别力或演唱、演奏的能力）.
(b) quality of a sound in music 音质.
4 [sing] degree or intensity of sth 程度; 强度
*Speculation has reached such a pitch that a decision will have to be made immediately. 这种胡乱猜测甚嚣尘上, 已经到了必须立即解决的程度了.
5 [U] ~ of sth highest point of sth 最高点
*the pitch of perfection 完美的顶点.
6 [U] movement of a ship up and down on the water （船的）颠簸. Cf 参看 roll1 3.
7 [U] degree of slope (esp of a roof) 倾斜度（尤指屋顶的）.
8 [C] (esp Brit) place where a street trader usu does business or a street entertainer usu performs （街头的）商贩摊位, 艺人表演场地.
9 [C] (also `sales pitch) persuasive talk or arguments used by a salesman to sell things 推销员唱的高调
*a clever sales pitch 动听的推销员高调.
10 (idm 习语) at concert pitch => concert. at/to fever pitch => fever. queer sb's pitch => queer v.
1. The fans rushed onto the pitch in an excited mob. 球迷群情激昂, 一窝蜂涌进球场.
2. The heavy rain had turned the pitch into a quagmire. 大雨滂沱, 球场变成了泥沼.
3. They include: physical appearance, energy, rate of speech, pitch and tone of voice, gestures, expression through the eyes, and the ability to hold the interest of others. 这些优点包括：体貌、活力、语速、语音语调、手势、眼神，以及使他人对你保持兴趣的能力。
4. That is something like 6,000,000 spiders of different kinds on a football pitch. 这就是说，在一个足球场上约有600万只不同种类的蜘蛛。