1 [C] particular area or position in space occupied by sb/sth 地方; 场所; 所在地
*Is this the place where it happened? 这就是事发地点吗?
* This place seems familiar to me I think I've been here before. 这地方好像很熟悉--大概我从前来过这里.
* I can't be in two places at once. 我分身乏术.
* He loves to be seen in all the right places, ie at all the important social events. 他喜欢在所有重大的社交场合上出头露面.
2 [C] city, town, village, etc 城、镇、村等
*We saw so many places on the tour I can't remember them all. 我们旅行到过很多地方, 我记都记不清.
* This town is the coldest place in Britain. 这镇子是英国最寒冷的地方.
* Australia is a big place. 澳大利亚这个地方很大.
3 [C] ~ (of sth) (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) building or area of land used for a particular purpose or where sth occurs （作某用途或发生某事的）建筑物或场所
*a `meeting-place, `birthplace, `hiding-place, etc 会面地点、出生地、隐蔽所
* places of amusement/entertainment,ie theatres, cinemas, etc 娱乐场所（戏院、影院等）
* a place of worship, ie a church 礼拜的场所（教堂）
* He can usually be contacted at his place of business/work. 通常可在他的办公[工作]地点和他联系.
* a place of learning, eg a university 做学问的地方（如大学）
* one's place of birth/death 出生[死亡]之地.
4 [C] particular spot or area on a surface 物体表面的某点或某处
*a sore place on my foot 脚的痛处
* The wall was marked with damp in several places. 那堵墙有几处潮斑.
5 [C] particular passage or point in a book, play, etc （书、戏剧等的）某段落或某点
*The audience laughed in all the right places, eg in a play. 观众看到有趣处无不大笑不已（如在观剧时）.
* Put a piece of paper in (ie in your book) to mark your place. 在你读到的地方夹上张纸条.
6 [C] seat or position, esp one reserved for or occupied by a person, vehicle, etc 座位或位置（尤指某人、车等保留或占据的）
*Come and sit here I've kept you a place. 到这儿来坐--我给你占了一个座位.
* There's only one place left in the car park. 停车场里只剩一个位置了.
* the place of honour at the head of the table 餐桌上首的贵宾席
* There will always be a place for you here if you decide to come back. 只要你决定回来, 这里永远给你保留位置.
* Return to your places and get on with your work. 各回各位去干自己的工作吧.
* (fig 比喻) have an assured place in history 在历史上占有一定的地位
* I went to buy a newspaper and lost my place in the queue. 我去买了份报纸, 回来就找不到我排队中的位置了. =>Usage at space 用法见space.
7 [sing] rank, position or role in society (used esp with the vs shown) （社会的）等级, 地位, 身分（尤与所示动词连用）
*keep/know one's place 保持个人的地位[知道自己的身分]
* forget one's place, ie not behave according to one's social position 举止与身分不合
* not be one's place (ie one's proper role) to give advice 无资格进言.
(a) position or office, esp as an employee 职位或职务（尤指雇员的）
*She hopes to get a place in the Civil Service. 她希望获得一份公职.
(b) opportunity to study at a school or university （在学校）学习或研究的机会
*She was awarded a place at the Royal College of Music. 她获得皇家音乐学院的学籍.
* The ballet school offers free places to children who are exceptionally talented. 该芭蕾舞蹈学校给有特殊天赋的儿童提供免费学习的机会.
(c) membership of a sports team 运动队员的资格或身分
*She worked hard for her place in the Olympic team. 她为进入奥林匹克运动队而努力.
(a) natural or suitable position (for sth) （某物的）自然的或恰当的位置
*Put everything away in its correct place. 把东西放到该放的地方去.
* (saying 谚) A place for everything and everything in its place. 物各有其位, 物各在其位.
* The dustbin is the only place for most of these clothes. 这些衣服大都只配进垃圾箱.
(b)(usu negative 通常用否定式) suitable or proper location(for sb to be) （某人的）相宜的或应在的地方
*A railway station is no place for a child to be left alone at night. 火车站可不是让儿童在晚上独自呆的地方.
* City streets are no place to be if you don't like noise or crowds. 要是怕吵、怕人多就别上街.
10 [C] (mathematics 数) position of a figure after a decimal point, etc （小数点後的）位:calculated/correct to
5 decimal places/5 places of decimals,eg 6.57132 计算[精确]到小数点後5位数（如6.57132）.
11 [C usu sing 通常作单数]
(a) (in a competition) position among the winning competitors （竞赛中）获胜者的名次
*He finished in third place. 他得了第三名.
(b) (in horse-racing) position among the first three, esp second or third （赛马的）位置（获胜的前三名, 尤指第二名或第三名）
*Did you back the horse for a place or to win? 那匹马你买的是位置还是独赢?
(a) house, esp a large one in the country 房子; （尤指）乡间巨宅
*They have a flat in town as well as a place in the country. 他们在城里有一套公寓, 在乡村还有一所房子.
(b) (infml 口) home 家
*We're having the party at my place. 我们的聚会在我家举行.
13 Place [sing] (esp Brit)
(a) (as part of a name for a short street, square etc 用于短街、广场等名称中)
*Langham Place 兰厄姆广场.
(b) (as part of a name for a large country house 用于乡村巨宅的名称中)
*Wakehurst Place 韦克赫斯特山庄.
14 (idm 习语) all `over the place (infml 口)
(a) everywhere 到处
*Firms are going bankrupt all over the place. 各地的商行都纷纷破产了.
(b) in an untidy state; disordered 凌乱; 紊乱; 杂乱
*The contents of the drawers were strewn all over the place. 抽屉里的东西乱七八糟.* Your hair is all over the place. 你的头发乱蓬蓬的. change/swap `places (with sb)
(a) take sb's position, seat, etc and let him take one's own 与某人交换位置、座位等
*Let's change places you'll be able to see better from here. 咱们换一下位置吧--你从这儿看清楚些.
(b) be in sb else's situation or circumstances 在他人的处境或环境
*I'm perfectly happy I wouldn't change places with anyone. 我十分愉快--这种幸福我跟谁都不换. fall, fit, slot, etc into `place (of a set of facts or series of events) begin to make sense in relationship to each other （指一系列事实或事件）开始有头绪
*It all begins to fall into place. 一切开始明朗了. give place to sb/sth be replaced by sb/sth; give way to sb/sth 为某人[某事物]所取代; 让位给某人[某事物]
*Houses and factories gave place to open fields as the train gathered speed. 火车越开越快, 把房子和工厂抛在後面进入了一片开阔的田野. `go places (infml 口) be increasingly successful, esp in one's career 不断进展（尤指在个人事业上）
*two young people who are really going places 两个事业顺利的年轻人. have one's heart in the right place => heart. in the `first, `second, etc place (used eg when making points in an argument 用于如列举理由时) firstly, secondly, etc 第一点、第二点等. in high places => high1. in `my, `your, etc place in my, your, etc situation or circumstances 处于我的、你的等情况、处境
*What would you do in my place? 你要是处于我的地位, 你怎样做?
* In her place I'd sell the lot. 我要是她就全部卖掉. in `place
(a) in the usual or proper position 在平常的或应在的地方
*She likes everything to be in place before she starts work. 她喜欢东西都摆好再开始工作.
(b) suitable or appropriate 合适的; 恰当的
*A little gratitude would be in place. 应当略表谢意. in place of sb/sth; in sb's/sth's place instead of sb/sth 代替某人[某事物]
*The chairman was ill so his deputy spoke in his place. 主席有病, 所以由副主席代为致词. lay/set a `place put cutlery, dishes, etc for one person in position on the table 在餐桌上摆上一份一人用的餐具
*Set a place for him when you lay the table he may come after all. 铺桌子时给他摆上一份餐具--毕竟他有可能来. lightning never strikes in the same place twice => lightning. lose one's place => lose. out of `place
(a) not in the usual or a correct or suitable place 不在平常的或应在的或适当的地方.
(b) unsuitable; improper 不适合的; 不适当的
*Her criticisms were quite out of place. 她的批评太不相宜了.
* Modern furniture would be out of place in a Victorian house. 在维多利亚时代式的房子里摆设现代家具很不谐调. a place in the `sun situation of equal or shared privilege 平等的或均等的有利地位或处境
*Nations that had been oppressed for centuries were now fighting for a place in the sun. 多少世纪以来受压迫的国家现在都在争取平等. pride of place => pride. put oneself in sb else's/sb's `place imagine oneself in sb else's situation or circumstances 设想自己处于他人的地位或处境. put sb in his (proper) `place humiliate sb who has been impertinent or boastful 对无礼的或自夸的人加以羞辱
*He tried to kiss her but she quickly puthim in his place. 他想要吻她, 她顿时让他自讨没趣. take`place occur; happen 发生
*When does the ceremony take place? 仪式什么时候举行?
* We have never discovered what took place (between them) that night. 我们从未发觉那天晚上（他们之间）发生了什么事情. =>Usage at happen 用法见happen. take sb's/sth's place; take the place of sb/sth replace sb/sth 代替某人[某事物]
*She couldn't attend the meeting so her assistant took her place. 她不能出席会议, 所以由助手替她.
* Nothing could take the place of the family he had lost. 他失去了家庭, 这一损失是无法弥补的. there's ,no place like `home (saying 谚) one's home is the best place to be 哪里也不如自己的家.
1 [Tn.pr, Tn.p]
(a) put (sth) in a particular place 将（某物）置于某处
*He placed the money on the counter. 他把钱放在柜台上.
* The notice is placed too high nobody can read it. 布告贴得太高--谁也没法看.
(b) put (sth) in its proper place 将（某物）放在应放之处
*Be sure to place them correctly. 务必把这些东西放对地方.
* He placed the books in order on the shelf. 他把书按顺序摆在书架上.
2 [Tn.pr, Tn.p] put (sb) in the situation or circumstances specified (used esp as in the expressions shown) 使（某人）处于某处境或环境（尤用于以下示例）
*place sb in charge/command (of sth), ie make him the leader 让某人负责[指挥]（某事物）
* place sb under arrest, ie arrest him逮捕某人
* place sb in a dilemma/difficult position/quandary, ie make matters difficult for sb 使某人进退两难[处于困境/犹豫不决]
* place one's faith/trust in sb/sth 信赖某人[相信某事物]
* place confidence in sb, ie be confident that he will help, etc 对某人抱有信心
* Responsibility for the negotiations was placed in his hands, ie He was made responsible for them. 由他负责谈判事宜.
3 [Tn] identify (sb/sth) by using one's memory or past experience 凭记忆或经验辨认（某人[某事物]）
*I've seen his face before but I can't place him. 我以前见过他, 但我认不出他是谁.
* She has a foreign accent that I can't quite place. 她有外国口音, 但我听不出是哪儿的口音.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] make a judgement about (sb/sth) in comparison with others; class (sb/sth) 经比较评价（某人[某事物]）; 将（某人[某事物]）分类
*I would place her among the world's greatest sopranos. 我认为她可以算是世界上第一流的女高音.
5 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (with sb/sth) give (an order or a bet) to a person or firm （向某人或某公司）发（定单）或打（赌）
*They have placed an order with us for three new aircraft. 他们向我们订购了三架新飞机.
* Place your bets now the race begins in half an hour! 现在可以下赌注--赛事于半小时後开始!
6 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (in sth); ~ sb (with sb/sth) find a home, job, etc for sb 为某人找到、安排或安置（家、工作等）
*The agency places about
2000 secretaries per annum. 该代理机构每年可为约2000名秘书安排工作.
* They placed the orphans with foster-parents. 他们为这些孤儿找到了养父养母.
7 [Tn, Tn.pr] invest (money), esp in order to earn interest 投（资）
*The stockbroker has placed the money in industrial stock. 证券经纪人已用那笔钱购入了工业股票.
8 [esp passive 尤用于被动语态
*Tn, Cn.a] state the finishing position of runners (in a race) or contestants (in athletics) （体育竞赛中）定出（选手的）名次
*He was reponsible for placing the winners. 他负责评定选手名次.
* She was placed third. 她被定为第三名.
9 (idm 习语) be placed
(a) (Brit) (in horse-racing) finish first, second or third （赛马中）得第一、第二或第三名.
(b) (US) (in horse-racing) finish second （赛马中）得第二名.