adj (infml 口) exhausted; finished; no longer useful 衰竭; 结束; 失去作用
*After a hard gallop, the horse was played out. 那马跑得精疲力竭.
* Is this theory played out (ie no longer worth considering)? 这理论过时了吗?
1. By the time Ben was tired out, Tom had traded the next chance to Billy Fisher for a kite in good repair; and when he played out, Johnny Miller bought in for a dead rat and a string to swing it with; and so on, and so on, hour after hour. 等到本累垮了，汤姆早已把粉刷权转让给比利·费希尔，换来一只完好的风筝。比利·费希尔干不下去了，约翰尼·米勒把粉刷权买了下来，代价是一只死耗子，和一条甩着玩的绳子。于是买主一个接着一个地来了，时间也一小时又一小时地过去了。
2. We played checkers and ate melon seeds and peanuts all night. 我们整个晚上都在下西洋棋, 吃瓜子和花生.
3. We all played with snow and ice. 我们都玩雪和冰.
4. We played checkers and ate pear and peanuts all night. 我们整个晚上都在下西洋棋, 吃梨子和花生.
5. When I played ball (poorly), he "played" too. When I joined the Navy, he "joined" too. 我打球时（球技很糟），他也在"打"；后来我加入了海军，他也"加入"了。
6. When I played some music, Laurie stood up on the bed and danced. 当我弹起音乐时，她就站在床上跳舞。
7. We still have guns, but the bullets are fake, and videos are played where actors act out various types of situations. 手中仍有枪，但子弹是假的。屏幕上演员在扮演着各种场面。
8. The band played several marches. 乐队演奏了几首进行曲。
9. The children played in the fountain in the park. 孩子们在公园喷泉中玩耍.
10. The children played on the sands. 孩子们在沙滩上玩耍。