名词:poller 动词过去式:polled 过去分词:polled 现在分词:polling 第三人称单数:polls
1 (a) [C usu sing 通常作单数] voting at an election; counting of votes 选举投票; 计票
*be successful at the poll 选举投票中获胜
* The result of the poll has now been declared. 选举结果已经公布.
(b) [sing] number of votes cast （投的）票数
*head the poll, ie have the largest number of votes 得票最多
* a light/heavy poll, ie voting by a small or large proportion of those entitled to vote 低[高]投票率.
(c) the polls [pl] place where people vote 投票处
*The country is going to the polls (ie is voting in an election) tomorrow. 明天将在全国进行选举投票.
2 [C] survey of public opinion by putting questions to a representative selection of people 民意测验
*a public opinion poll 民意测验
* the Gallup poll 盖洛普民意测验
* We're conducting a poll among school leavers. 我们正在对中学毕业生进行民意调查.
1 (of a candidate at an election) receive (a certain number of votes) （指候选人）获得（一定数量的选票）
*Mr Hill polled over
3000 votes. 希尔先生获得了3000多张选票.
2 ask (sb) his or her opinion as part of a public-opinion poll （在民意测验中）调查（某人）; 对（某人）作民意调查
*Of those polled, seven out of ten said they preferred brown bread. 那些被调查者十人中有七人说他们比较爱吃黑面包.
3 (a) cut off the top of the horns of (cattle) 截去（牛）的角的顶端.
(b) = pollard v.
An entrance poll is a poll that is taken before voters have cast their votes at the polling stations. It is akin to an opinion poll in the sense that it asks who the voter plans to vote for or some similar set of questions.
1. We are going to conduct a public opinion poll. 我们将进行民意测验。
2. According to the survey based on responses from over 188,000 students, today's college beginners are "more consumeristic and less idealistic" than at any time in the seventeen years of the poll. 根据以188, 000多名学生的答卷为基础的调查，当今的大学新生比这项民意测验开始以来的17年中的任何时候的大学新生都 "更主张消费，但少了点理想"。
3. In the United States, three-quarters of the adults surveyed by the Harris poll and two-thirds of all high-school seniors surveyed by Scholastic magazine say they believe that the United States will be a worse place 10 years from now than it is today. 在美国，哈里斯民意测验所调查的成人中的四分之三及《中学生》杂志所调查的高中生中的三分之二的人，都说他们认为10年以后美国将变成一个比现在更糟糕的地方。