adj [attrib 作定语]
(a) that can or may come into existence; possible 可能存在或出现的; 可能的
*a potential source of conflict 可能引起冲突的根源
* a potential leader 可能成为领导者的人
* The book is arguably a potential best seller. 该书或可成为一部畅销书.
(b) in existence and capable of being developed or used 潜在的; 有潜力的
*potential energy, power, resources, etc 潜力、潜能、潜在的资源
* a machine with several potential uses 具有多种潜在功能的机器.
1 (a) ~ (for sth) possibility of being developed or used 潜在性; 可能性
*She recognized the potential for error in the method being used. 她意识到在所采用的方法中可能出错.
* He studied the German market to find the potential there for profitable investment. 他对德国的市场进行了研究以寻求投资获利的可能性.
(b) qualities that exist and can be developed 潜力; 潜能
*exploit/fulfil/realize one's potential 发掘[发挥/认识]自己的潜力
* She has artistic potential/potential as an artist. 她有做艺术家的潜质.
* The product has even more potential in export markets. 这种产品在出口市场上甚至会有更大的销售潜力.
2 energy of an electric charge expressed in volts; voltage 电势; 电位; 电压
*a current of high potential 高压电.
1. Wilmut maintains that cloning animals has tremendous potential for helping people. 威尔莫特坚持认为，克隆动物具有帮助人类的巨大潜力。
2. The large group of enlightened young men and women are potential leaders. 这一大群有知识的男女青年是潜在的领导人.
3. The Hyde School assumes "every human being has a unique potential" that is based on character, not intelligence or wealth. 海德中学认为"每一个人都有自己的独特潜能"，这种潜能的基础是品格而不是智力或财富。
4. The most significant implication would seem to be that while most people are in a good position to fulfill their biological potential — barring serious illnesses or a poor diet during childhood — it is far from certain that they will grow up in an en 最重要的启示似乎是：尽管大多数人都有条件很好地发挥他们的生理潜能 --即除非童年时得了严重疾病，或饮食太差，他们肯定能充分发展自己的基因遗传能力，但是，他们是否能生长在一个能开发其能力的环境中则远非一个确定因素。
5. Another situation that calls for premarital agreements occurs when a potential spouse has, or is in line for, great inherited wealth or a family business, especially if the future partner has little or nothing at all. 另一种要求签立婚前协议的情形是，未来的丈夫或妻子已经或即将继承巨额遗产或家庭产业，尤其是在未来伴侣家资不多或一贫如洗的情况下。
6. potential donors were often afraid to cooperate, or raised religious concerns. 可能的供血者通常不敢合作，或产生宗教上的担心。
7. Most of us seldom achieve our creative potential but the reservoir of ideas hiding within every one of us can be unlocked. 我们中的大多数人很少能发挥自己的创造潜力，可蕴藏在我们每个人大脑里的思想宝库是能够被开启的。
8. Convinced of the importance of education, modern states ´invest´ in institutions of learning to get back ´interest´ in the form of a large group of enlightened young men and women who are potential leaders. 现代国家深深懂得教育的重要性，对教育机构投资，收回的1利息´便是培养出大批有知识的男女青年，这些人可能成为未来的栋梁。
9. Love involves seeing the potential within the person we love. 爱就要看到所爱之人的内在潜力。