-ty 表示抽象名称的词尾 变化型 -ety,-ity
1 state of being poor 贫穷; 贫困
*live in poverty 过着穷困的生活
* She had been worn down by poverty and illness. 她贫病交加, 受尽折磨.
2 existing in too small amounts; scarcity or lack 贫乏; 缺乏
*His work was criticized for its poverty of imagination. 他的作品因缺乏想像力而受到批评.
* They were handicapped by
(a) poverty of resources. 他们因资源短缺处境窘迫.
3 state of being inferior; poor quality 低劣; 劣质
*the poverty of the soil 土地的贫瘠
* They were recognizable by the poverty of their dress. 根据衣着寒酸这一点可以把他们认出来.
4 (idm 习语) grinding poverty => grinding (grind). Cf 参看 poorness.
1100-1200; Language: Old French;Origin:
poverté, from Latin
paupertas, from pauper; POOR
the situation or experience of being poor
, impoverished impoverished Millions of elderly people live in poverty .We need an effective strategy to fight poverty .continued efforts to alleviate poverty and raise living standards scenes of abject poverty the causes of urban povertythe poverty linealsothe poverty levelAmE
the income below which a person or a family is officially considered to be very poor and in need of help 20% of the population now live below the poverty line .the poverty trap
a situation in which a poor person without a job cannot afford to take a low paying job because they would lose the money they receive from the government [singular,U]formal
a lack of a particular qualitypoverty of The novel shows a surprising poverty of imagination.
COLLOCATES for sense 1live/grow up/die in povertyfight/combat poverty
(=try to end poverty) alleviate/relieve poverty
(=improve poverty) extreme/severe povertyabject/grinding/dire poverty
(=extreme poverty) urban/rural poverty
(=poverty of people in cities or the countryside)
1. But divorce destroys the stability, security, and continuity that children need: it results in poverty for many women and children; it damages the natural link between father and children and replaces it with one of regulated, arranged visits; 但是离婚摧毁了孩子所需要的稳定感、安全感、整体感，造成了很多妇女儿童的贫困，破坏了父亲与子女间的自然联系，代之以人为安排的定期探视。
2. What is the relationship of crime to poverty? 犯罪与贫穷有什么关系?
3. Work banishes those three great evils : boredom , vice, and poverty.(Voltaire , French philosopher ) 工作撵跑三个魔鬼：无聊、堕落和贫穷。 (法国哲学家 伏尔基泰)
4. This growing poverty in the midst of growing poverty constitutes a permanent menace to peace. 这种在贫困不断增长中增长着的贫困, 构成了对和平的持久威胁.
5. The aim was to look like street people and to observe what difference that made in the way other people responded to us — whether the appearance of poverty would invite prejudice on us. 我们的目的是为了让自己看上去像漂泊街头的人，以观察别人对我们会有何不同反应——贫穷的外表是否会招致对我们的歧视。
6. He equates poverty with misery. 他认为贫穷就是不幸.
7. He was sent to prison for failing to pay his debts and died in poverty in 1836. 他因无力还债而被捕入狱，最后于1836年在贫困中死去。
8. As an apprentice the boy lived a life of grinding poverty. 这孩子当学徒时过着贫困难熬的生活。
9. As the parents had five children, life was a perpetual struggle against poverty. 家里已有5个孩子，全家人常年在贫困中挣扎。
10. And when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was now rolling in wealth. 汤姆早上还是身无一物的苦孩子，到了半下午成了大财主。