1 [U] preparing or being prepared 预备; 准备
*You can't pass an exam without preparation. 不准备就考不及格.
* The preparation of the meals is your job. 做饭是你分内之事.
* [attrib 作定语] Food preparation areas must be kept clean. 制作食物的场所应保持清洁.
2 [C usu pl 通常作复数] ~ (for sth/to do sth) thing done to prepare for sth 准备工作; 准备措施
*The country is making preparations for war/to go to war. 该国正进行备战[准备打仗].
* Was your education a good preparation for your career? 你所受的教育是否为你的事业打下了良好的基础?
3 [C] substance that has been specially prepared for use as a cosmetic, medicine, etc 适合于某一用途如化妆、医药等的）配制品
*a pharmaceutical preparation 药剂
* a preparation for hiding/to hide skin blemishes 肤斑遮盖霜.
4 [C, U] (Brit) = prep 1.
5 (idm 习语) in preparation (for sth) being prepared (for sth) （为某事物）作好准备
*The advertising campaign is still in preparation. 广告宣传攻势仍在准备中.
* They've sold their house and car in preparation for leaving the country. 他们卖掉了房子和汽车准备出国.
the process of preparing something
This dish is good for dinner parties because much of the preparation can be done ahead of time.
Business training is a good preparation for any career.
the preparation of the budget
do sth in preparation for sth
(=in order to prepare for something)
He is practising every day, in preparation for the ice-skating championship.
Plans for the new school are now in preparation .
a course in food service and food preparation
arrangements for something that is going to happen
Preparations for the upcoming Olympic Games are nearing completion.
Preparations are being made for the President's visit.
The festival was a great success, and preparations are underway (=have started) for another one next summer.
a mixture that has been prepared and that is used for a particular purpose, especially as a medicine or to make your skin more attractive
a new preparation for cleansing the skin
1. The book is still in preparation. 书仍在编写中。
2. The Hyde curriculum is similar to conventional schools that provide preparation for college, complete with English, history, math and science. 海德中学的课程与那些开设大学预科课程的常规学校相似，设置完整，包括英语、历史、数学和自然科学。