1 [esp attrib 尤作定语] of, belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group only; personal 私人的; 私有的; 私用的; 个人的
*father's own private chair, which no one else is allowed to use 父亲专用的椅子, 别人一概不许使用
* a private letter, ie about personal matters 私人信件
* private property 私有财产
* a private income/private means, ie money not earned as a salary, etc but coming from personal property, investments, etc 私产所得（由个人财产、投资等获得而非来自工资等之收入）
* private fishing 私人捕鱼活动
* `Is this a hotel?' `No, it's a private house.' ｀这是旅馆吗?＇｀不是, 这是私人住宅.＇
2 (a) not (to be) revealed to others; secret 不公开的; 秘密的
*I'm not going to tell you about it; it's private. 我不打算把此事告诉你; 这是私事.
* That's my private opinion. 这是我私下持有的见解.
(b) not liking to share thoughts and feelings with others 不喜欢与他人交流思想感情的
*He's a rather private person. 他不太喜欢和别人交流思想感情.
3 (of a conversation, meeting, etc) with only a small number of participants, esp two, and kept secret from others （指谈话、会议等）只有少数人（尤指两人）参加并对其他人保密的
*I'd like a private chat with you. 我想跟你私下谈谈.
4 (a) (of a place) quiet and free from intruders （指场所）清静的, 不受侵扰的
*Let's find some private spot where we can discuss the matter. 咱们找个清静的地方谈谈这个问题吧.
(b) [usu pred 通常作表语] (of people) undisturbed by others; alone together （指人们）不受他人打扰; 无外人
*Let's go upstairs where we can be a bit more private. 咱们上楼吧, 那里没什么外人.
5 (a) [attrib 作定语] having no official job or position 无官方职务或职位的
*She is acting as a private individual in this matter. 她在这个问题上只代表她个人意见.
* a private citizen 平民.
(b) not connected with one's work or official position 与工作或官职无关的
*The Queen is making a private visit to Canada. 女王正对加拿大进行私人访问.
* The public is fascinated by the private lives of public figures. 公众对社会名流的私生活具有浓厚的兴趣.
6 of, belonging to or carried out by an individual or an independent company rather than the State; not state-controlled 个体（经营）的; 私营的; 民办的; 不受国家控制的
*private industry 私营企业
* the private sector, ie of the economy 私营部门
* private education, medicine, medical treatment, etc 民办教育、私人行医、民间疗法
* a private school 私立学校
* a private patient, ie (in Britain) not on the National Health Service 自费病人（英国不享受国民保健署资助者）
* a private pension plan 私营企业的养老金制
* a private detective/investigator, ie one not employed by the police 私人侦探. Cf 参看 public.
1 [C] soldier of the lowest rank 士兵; 列兵
*He enlisted as a private. 他入伍当了士兵.
* Private Smith 列兵史密斯. =>App
2 privates [pl] (infml 口) = private parts.
3 (idm 习语) in private with no one else present 无他人在场; 私下地
*She asked to see him in private. 她请求单独与他见面.
1. Before long he has begun his own private ´telephone´ service. 不久他办起了自己的私人“电话”业务。
2. But if you are a serious private investor, leave the Las Vegas mentality to those with money to fritter. 但是，如果你是一个认真的私人投资者，就把拉斯韦加斯的心态留给那些有钱可供挥霍的人。
3. But they reasoned that it would be worth it if their children got into private schools early and did not have to worry about passing examinations later on. 可她们又辩解道，如果自己的孩子能早日进入私立学校，用不着以后担心通过入学考试，那么这么做也是值得的。"
4. Because of these uncertainties, private investigators have sought more fantastic explanations. "由于这些不确定的因素，个人调查者往往寻求较为荒诞的解释。
5. This puma must have been in the possession of a private collector and somehow managed to escape. 这只美洲狮谅必是私人豢养的,并且不知怎么跑出来了.
6. This is a private conversation. 这是私人谈话.
7. This sort of business can only be transacted in private. 这种事情只能私下处理.
8. This may be illustrated by comparing the position of a nation with that of a private business enterprise. 把国家的状况同私人企业的状况加以比较，就可以看清这个问题。
9. Then the child has, as it were, private lessons all the year round, while an adult language-student has each week a limited number of hours which he generally shares with others. 此外，我们可以说孩子一年到头都有私人教师给他上课，而成年的语言学习者每周只有有限的几小时，而且通常都是与他人一起分享上课时间。
10. The feeling of private space and ownership no longer exists in houses literally piled one on the other. 住在层层相叠的房子里再也没有那种私人空间和拥有的感觉了。