grad=to walk（行走） 变化型 gress
/'prəʊgres; [US] 'prɒg-; `prɑˇrɛs/
1 [U] forward or onward movement 前进; 行进
*The walkers were making slow progress up the rocky path. 行人沿着岩石小道慢慢往上走.
* The yacht made good progress with a following wind. 那小帆船顺风行驶得很快.
2 [U] advance or development, esp towards a better state进步, 进展, 发展（尤具改进之意）
*the progress of civilization 文明的进展
* There has been very little progress this term. 这学期没有什么进步.
* The patient is making good progress (ie is getting better) after her operation. 这个女病人动过手术後病情大为好转.
* Strike leaders have reported some progress in the talks to settle the dispute. 罢工的领导人汇报了在解决争端的谈判中所取得的某些进展.
* [attrib 作定语] a `progress report 进行情况的报告.
3 [C] (arch 古) journey made by a sovereign or ruler （帝王等的）巡行, 巡游
*a royal progress around the country 国王之全国巡游.
4 (idm 习语) in progress being done or made 进行中
*An inquiry is now in progress. 调查工作此刻正在进行中.
* Please be quiet recording in progress. 正在录音--请勿喧哗.
1 [I] make progress 前进; 行进; 进步; 进展
*The work is progressing steadily. 工作在稳步地取得进展.
* She is progressing in her studies. 她学习有进步.
* In some ways, civilization does not seem to have progressed much in the last century. 在某些方面, 上个世纪文明似乎进展不大.
2 [Tn] cause(work, etc) to make regular progress towards completion使（工作等）正常进行、有进步或取得进展.
1. Why does the idea of progress loom so large in the modern world? 为什么进步这个概念在现代世界显得如此突出？
2. It has made extraordinary progress in the accumulation of knowledge. 但在知识积累方面却取得了巨大的进步。
3. The business will have less money to distribute as dividends or invest directly in its future progress and development. 企业只能以较少的钱作为红利分配，或者直接投资于将来的进步和发展。
4. The elimination of the bad customs will make our society progress more quickly. 去掉不良风俗可以使我们的社会更快地发展。
5. The currents of air that the walls of the ship direct upwards, as well as in the line of its course, are enough to give the great bird with its immense wings sufficient sustenance and progress. 沿船体的上升的气流和沿航线向前的气流给这种巨翼大鸟以足够的浮力和推力。
6. The rise of acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) around the earth has represented a major challenge to medical progress both in developed and in less — developed countries. 全球艾滋病的蔓延无论在发达国家还是在欠发达国家都是对医学进步的重大挑战。
7. Her tutor says she is making good progress. 她的导师说她进步很大.
8. And the business will have less money to distribute as dividends or invest directly in its future progress and development. 因此用于分红的金额就用于将来开拓和发展的投资就相应地减少了。
9. Although the language had no close relation to any of the modern or ancient languages he knew, he made such progress in six months as to be able to enjoy reading Russian poetry and prose works. 虽然这门语言与他所知道的任何一门现代或古老的语言没有任何紧密的联系，但是他在六个月内就有了显著的进步，甚至已经可以阅读俄文诗歌及散文作品而且读得津津有味了。
10. And in Mexico, don't be surprised if your driver picks up another person while your ride is still in progress. 在墨西哥，如果司机在载你的过程中再接乘客，也不要感到吃惊。