min＝to jut,to project（突出）
1 jutting out; projecting 突出的; 凸出的
*prominent cheek-bones 突出的颧骨.
2 easily seen; conspicuous 显着的; 惹人注目的
*the most prominent feature in the landscape 风景中最显着的特色
* The house is in a prominent position on the village green. 那房子坐落在村中草地最显眼的地方.
3 distinguished or important 杰出的; 卓越的; 重要的
*play a prominent part in public life 在公共事务中起重要的作用
* a prominent political figure 杰出的政治人物.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin: , present participle of prominere 'to stick out']
a prominent Russian scientist
play a prominent part/role (in sth)
Mandela played a prominent role in the early years of the ANC.
The World Cup will have a prominent place on the agenda.
something that is in a prominent place is easily seen
The statue was in a prominent position outside the railway station.
something that is prominent is large and sticks out
a prominent nose
Her photo was prominently displayed on his desk.
1. Even so, one prominent magazine consistently refused to print "Joe" in my by-line, using my first initials, J.S., instead. 即使如此，一家著名杂志一直拒绝把"乔"作为我的文章的作者署名，而是用我名字的首字母 J.S. 来代替它。
2. Today, American coins honor prominent figures of the US government — mostly famous former presidents. 今天，美国的硬币都用来纪念美国政府的杰出人物，其中大部分是著名的前总统。
3. He became a prominent attorney. 他成了有名的律师。
4. He became a prominent attorney. 他成了有名的律师。