1 (a) that fits, belongs or is suitable; fitting or appropriate 适合的; 适当的; 适宜的; 适用的; 恰当的
*clothes proper for the occasion 适于那种场合的衣服
* the proper tool for the job 适用于这种工作的工具
* The teapot has lost its proper lid but this one will do instead. 茶壶盖儿不见了, 但这个可代替使用.
(b) [attrib 作定语] according to the rules; right or correct 遵守规则的; 正确的; 对的
*the proper way to hold the bat 正确的执拍方法
* The reels of film were not in the proper order. 电影胶片卷盘的顺序弄错了. 2according to or respecting social conventions; respectable遵照或尊重社会习俗的; 可敬的; 体面的
*After a very proper upbringing he chose to lead the Bohemian life of an artist. 他受过正统的教育, 却立意过着艺术家我行我素的生活.
* She's not at all a proper person for you to know. 她可不是正派人, 你不应该结识她. Cf 参看 improper.
3 (a) [attrib 作定语] (infml 口) being in fact what it is called; genuine 名副其实的; 真正的
*She hadn't had a proper holiday for years. 多年来她都没有过真正的假期.
* It was discovered that he was not a proper (ie qualified) doctor. 已经发现他并不是合格的医生.
(b) (placed after the n 置于名词之後) strictly so called; itself 严格而言的; 本身的
*You have to wait in a large entrance hall before being shown into the court proper. 进入皇宫时先要在入口大厅等候, 由人带领进入正殿.
* Students have to do a year's preparation before they start the degree course proper. 学生要先念一年预科, 然後才能开始攻读学位课程.
4 [attrib 作定语] (infml 口) thorough; complete 彻底的; 十足的
*We're in a proper mess now. 我们现在真是一团糟.
* He gave the burglar a proper hiding, ie beat him thoroughly. 他给了那窃贼一顿痛打.
5 (idm 习语) do the proper/right thing (by sb) => thing. prim and proper => prim.
1. But even when both parties have signed such an agreement, it can be impossible to enforce it in court if proper guidelines have not been followed. 但是，即使双方签署了这样的协议，如果不遵循正确的指导方针，还是不可能在法院实施它。
2. We are looking for a proper exporter. 我们在寻找合适的出口商。
3. We should situate a thinker and his thought in their proper place. 我们应当给一位思想家及其思想以合适的地位。
4. Workmen put in a proper drainage system and supplied pure drinking water. 工人安装了合适的排水装置，提供纯净的饮用水。
5. The serious investor needs a proper ´portfolio´----a well-planned selection of investments, with a definite structure and a clear aim. 认真的投资者需要一份正规的投资组合表 -- 一种计划很周密的投资选择，包括你的投资结构和明确的目标。
6. This is what the police say happened beginning at 3:20 AM in the proper, tree-lined neighborhood: 以下是警方的描述：惨案始于凌晨3：20，案发地点是树木环绕的高级住宅区。
7. Now that I am older, I believe that is a proper standard by which to judge people, even though I still don't know precisely what a "good heart" is. 现在我长大成人了，我开始相信这正是判断一个人的恰如其分的标准，虽然我还没有确切理解什么是"好心"。
8. Have the proper tools to turn off gas and water lines if necessary. 有必要的话，准备一些能关闭煤气和自来水管道的特制工具。
9. As we´ve not got the proper materials, we´ll just have to improvise. 我们没有弄到合适的材料, 只好临时凑合了.
10. Another crucial factor is the need for parents to have proper conversations with their children. 另一关键因素是父母应该与孩子进行适当的交谈。