名词:prostrator 动词过去式:prostrated 过去分词:prostrated 现在分词:prostrating 第三人称单数:prostrates
pro-=for,before,forth,forward 由“为了～”而产生“代替～”、“赞成～的”、“偏爱”等意思；或由“向～”演变为“向前”、“事先”、“公开地”、“因应～”等意思 变化型 pur-,pr-
1 (lying) stretched out on the ground face downward, esp because of exhaustion or in order to show submission, respect, etc 卧倒的, 俯卧的, 拜倒的（尤指因筋疲力尽或为表示顺从、敬意等）
*The prisoners were forced to lie prostrate in front of their captors. 囚犯们被迫在逮捕他们的那些人面前卧倒.
* She was found prostrate on the floor of the cell. 有人发现她趴在小屋的地板上. Cf 参看 prone 1, supine 1.
2 ~ (with sth) overcome by sth; defeated or helpless 被某事物所制服的; 瓦解的; 无能为力的
*She was prostrate with grief after his death. 她在他死後因悲伤而憔悴了.
* The country, prostrate after years of war, began slowly to recover. 这个国家连年战争元气尽失後, 已开始慢慢恢复正常状态.
* The illness left her prostrate for several weeks. 这场病把她拖倒了几个星期.
/prɒ'streɪt; [US] 'prɒstreɪt; `prɑstret/ v
(a) ~ oneself throw oneself on the floor and lie face down, esp as a sign of submission or worship 俯伏在地; （尤指表示顺从或崇拜）拜倒
*The slaves prostrated themselves at their master's feet. 奴隶们拜倒在主子的脚下.
* The pilgrims prostrated themselves before the altar. 朝圣者都匍伏在圣坛前.
(b) (fml 文) force (sb/sth) to the ground; flatten 使（某人[某物]）倒下; 弄倒
*trees prostrated by the gales 被大风刮倒的树木.
2 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] (of illness, weather, etc) make (sb) helpless （指疾病、天气等）使（某人）无能为力
*The competitors were prostrated by the heat. 竞赛者们由于天气炎热而力不从心. prostration / prC5streIFn; prB`streFEn/ n
1 [C, U] (act of) lying face downwards in submission or worship （为表示恭顺或崇拜）俯伏在地, 拜倒, 屈服.
2 [U] state of extreme physical weakness; total exhaustion 身体极度衰竭; 虚脱; 筋疲力尽
*Two of the runners collapsed in a state of prostration. 有两名赛跑选手因虚脱而倒下了.
1. She was found prostrate on the floor of the cell. 有人发现她趴在小屋的地板上.