1 ~ (for sb) (against sth)
(a) [U] protecting or being protected 保护; 防卫
*appeal for protection from the police 请求警方给予保护
* The shady trees provide protection against the burning rays of the sun. 树木成荫可以遮挡炽热的阳光.
* Our medical insurance offers protection (ie payment for medical treatment) for the whole family in the event of illness. 我们的医疗保险可为生病的任何家庭成员提供保障.
(b) [C] thing that protects 防护物
*He wore a thick overcoat as a protection against the bitter cold. 他穿着厚实的大衣以抵御严寒.
2 [U] system of protecting (protect 2) home industries by taxing foreign goods 贸易保护措施（藉徵收进口税以保护国内工业）
*Textile workers favoured protection because they feared an influx of cheap cloth. 纺织工人拥护贸易保护措施, 因为他们担心涌入廉价纺织品.
(a) (system of) paying money to gangsters so that one's business will not be attacked by them （为免生意受歹徒袭扰而向其）缴纳保护费ﺀ的做法）
*[attrib 作定语] The gang were running protection rackets in all the big cities. 这帮歹徒在各大城市里干着勒索保护费的勾当.
(b) (also protection money) money paid to gangsters for this purpose （为免受袭扰而向歹徒缴纳的）保护费
*He was paying out half his profits as protection. 他把所得利润的一半交给歹徒作为保护费.
when someone or something is protectedprotection of the protection of the environmentprotection against/from evidence that vitamin C gives protection against cancerprotection for This law provides protection for threatened animals and plants.for protection The police were issued with body armour for extra protection. [U and C]
something that protectsas (a) protection (against sth) Magee pulled up his collar as protection against the breeze.[U]
the promise of payment from an insurance company if something bad happens
= coverage[U]contraception Do you have any protection?[U]
when criminals threaten to damage your property or hurt you unless you pay them money protection money a protection racket (=the illegal activity of demanding money for protection)
1. Basically, most students leave knowing they will have to do without their accustomed parental protection and learn to take care of themselves. 事实上，大多数学生在离家时，都知道他们将在没有原来所习惯了的父母照顾的情况下自己生活, 学会自己照料自己。
2. If it were not for the protection we get from insect-eating animals. 如果人类不是受一些食虫动物的保护。
3. There was a time when the owners of shops and businesses in Chicago had to pay large sums of money to gangsters in return for ´protection.´ 曾经有一个时期,芝加哥的店主和商行的老板们不得不拿出大笔的钱给歹徒以换取´保护´。
4. He lived under the protection of a strong and brave chief. 他在一位坚强勇猛的首领保护下生活。
5. After burning down a few farms, would offer to go away if protection money was paid to them. 纵火烧毁一两个农场,然后提出,如向他们缴纳保护金,他们便主动撤离。
6. Protection of the environment used to be the concern of special groups. 在过去，环境保护只是一些特殊团体关注的事情。
7. But I do not turn for protection to dreary cliches about respect for elders 但我不会用应当尊重长者这一套陈词滥调来为我自己辨护，
8. Obtaining ´protection money´ is not a modern crime. 榨取´保护金´并不是一种现代的罪恶行径.
9. It ended tax favors that had encouraged clearing of the Amazon rain forest, and agreed to a plan to finance new forest protection projects. 它取消了原本旨在鼓励砍伐亚马逊雨林的税收优惠，而且还批准了给新的森林保护项目提供资金的计划。
10. It is clear to everyone that the police need more protection against the gun and the knife. 人人都清楚警察需要更多的保护，以防刀枪。