动词过去式:proved/proven 过去分词:proved/proven 现在分词:proving 第三人称单数:proves 副词:provably 形容词:provable 名词:provability
prob,prov＝to test,to try（试）,to examine（检查;考试）
v (pp proved; US proven / 5pru:vn;`pruvEn/) =>Usage 见所附用法.
1 [Tn, Tf, Dn.pr, Dpr.f] ~ sth (to sb) show that sth is true or certain by means of argument or evidence 证明某事物属实; 证实某事物
*prove sb's guilt/(that) sb is guilty 证明某人有罪
* Can you prove it to me? 你能向我证实吗?
* I shall prove to you that the witness is not speaking the truth. 我将向你证明, 证人说的不是真话.
2 (US probate) [Tn] establish that (a will) is genuine 认证（遗嘱）
*The will has to be proved before we can inherit. 遗嘱要先认证, 然後我们才能继承遗产.
3 [La, Ln, Cn.a, Cn.n, Cn.t] ~ (oneself) sth be seen or found to be sth; turn out to be sth 显现出是某事物; 被发现是某事物
*The old methods proved best after all. 采用老方法结果反而是某事物最好.
* The task proved (to be) more difficult than we'd thought. 这项任务原来比我们预想的难得多.
* He proved himself (to be) a better driver than the world champion. 他的表现说明他的驾驶技术胜过世界冠军.
4 [I] (of dough) rise because of the action of yeast （指面团）发酵
*leave the dough to prove for half an hour让面团发酵半小时.
5 (idm 习语) the exception proves the rule => exception. prove one's/the `case/`point demonstrate that one's/the statement, argument, criticism, etc is true or valid 表明自己的[该]言论、论据、批评等是符合事实的或确有根据的
*He quoted figures to prove his case. 他援引数字以表明自己的说法确有根据.
* She claimed that money had been wasted and our financial difficulties seemed to prove her point. 她断定那笔钱用得不是地方, 而我们在经济上遇到的困难却也似乎说明她言之有理.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Prove and shave have alternative past participle forms *prove和shave均有两种过去分词形式
*proved/proven; shaved/shaven. The irregular forms are more common in US than in British English. 不规则形式在美式英语中比在英式英语中用得多. Shaven and proven are mostly used adjectivally *shaven和proven多用作形容词性的修饰成分
*a well-proven method 充分证明行之有效的方法
* a shaven head 剃光的头.
v past tenseprovedpast participleprovedorproven ['pruːvən/
1. Before it becomes a retirement village, Silicon Valley may prove a classroom for building a global business. 在硅谷变成一个退休村之前，它很可能成为建立全球商业的一个教学场地。
2. When morning came, he had established the existence of one class of Fuchsian functions. He had only to prove the results, which took only a few hours. 到了早晨，他已经证实了一类富克斯函数的存在。他只须去证明其结果，而这只需要几个小时即可以解决。
3. The gains may prove ephemeral. 得益可能是短暂的。
4. That does not prove that it does not exist; 这并不是证实不存在噪音对健康的影响。
5. There were hardly any trees on the island and there was no water, but this did not prove to be a problem. 岛上几乎没有一颗树，也没有淡水，但这不算什么问题。
6. The man went to great lengths to prove that the diamonds were real. 那人竭力想证明那钻石是真货。
7. Next, the Algerian adventure had begun, and it appeared that this might prove expensive in lives. 其次，对阿尔及利亚的冒险行动已经开始，看来这可能被证明是要付出巨大生命代价的。
8. He did not want to make a statement without trying to prove it. 他不愿意不加证明就发表看法.
9. He knew it would not prove difficult in such a small village. 他知道在这样一个小村庄里抓住小偷并不困难。
10. And the windowing custom allowed them to prove their ability to others in the community. 而爬窗这种风俗允许她们向当地的人们证明她们的这种能力。