名词:puzzler 动词过去式:puzzled 过去分词:puzzled 现在分词:puzzling 第三人称单数:puzzles
1 [C usu sing 通常作单数] questionthat is difficult to understand or answer; mystery 难题; 谜一般的事物
*Their reason for doing it is still a puzzle to me. 他们为什么要做此事我仍莫名其妙.
2 [C] (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) problem or toy that is designed to test a person's knowledge, ingenuity, skill, etc 用以测验人的知识、智力、技巧等的问题或玩具; 谜
*crossword puzzles 纵横字谜
* a jigsaw puzzle 拼图玩具
* find the answer to/solve a puzzle 找到谜底[解开一个谜]
* set a puzzle for sb/set sb a puzzle 出个谜叫某人猜.
1 [Tn] make (sb) think hard; perplex 让（某人）动脑筋; 使困惑
*Her reply puzzled me. 她的回答把我弄糊涂了.
* I am puzzled by his failure to reply/that he hasn't replied to my letter. 他不给我回信使我百思不解.
* He puzzled his brains (ie thought hard) to find the answer. 他绞尽脑汁以寻求答案.
* The sudden fall in the value of the dollar has puzzled financial experts. 美元突然贬值, 财经专家无不大伤脑筋.
* They are puzzled (about) what to do next/how to react. 他们不知道下一步怎么办[如何作出反应].
2 [Ipr] ~ over sth think deeply about sth in order to understand it 对某事物苦苦思索（以便理解）
*She's been puzzling over his strange letter for weeks. 她几个星期也琢磨不透他那封奇怪的来信.
3 [Tn.p] ~ sth out (try to) find the answer or solution to sth by thinking hard 开动脑筋（试图）找出某事物的答案或解决方法
*The teacher left the children to puzzle out the answer to the problem themselves. 老师让学生动脑筋自行寻找问题的答案. puzzled adj unable to understand; perplexed or confused 无法了解的; 困惑的; 茫然的
*She listened with a puzzled expression on her face. 她脸上带着困惑的表情在倾听着.
Situation puzzles are often referred to as lateral thinking puzzles or "yes/no" puzzles.
1. Will you help me to solve this puzzle? 你能帮助我解决这个难题吗？
2. The brains of children in the study were scanned while being presented with a simple visual puzzle. 研究中，给孩子们看一道简单的视觉难题，同时对其脑部进行扫描。
3. The boys of average ability and the gifted girls showed strong activity on both sides of their brains as they thought about the puzzle. 智力一般的男孩与天资好的女孩在解题时脑子的两半球都活跃。
4. After buying a new chain I was faced with the insurmountable task of putting the confusing jigsaw puzzle together again. 我买了一条新链子之后，便面临着一个难以克服的任务：把这个使人眼花缭乱的“益智分合图”再从新组合起来。
5. After buying a new chain I was faced with the insurmountable task of putting the confusing jigsaw puzzle together again. 我买来一根新链条后，面临的就是如何把这些令人眼花缭乱的拼板重新组装起来。
6. She tried to solve a crossword puzzle. 她试着解答一道纵横字谜。
7. Plomin stresses that the discovery of a first gene does not mean the puzzle of intelligence has been solved. 普罗明强调，发现第一个基因并不意味着解开了智力之迷。