1 [U] that which makes it possible to measure things through having number, size, weight, etc 量; 大小; 重量
*His reputation as a writer depends more on quantity than quality, ie He writes a lot but he doesn't write very well. 他获得作家的名气靠的是作品的数量而不是质量.
* Mathematics is the science of pure quantity. 数学是研究纯数量的科学.
2 [C, U] number or amount, esp a large one 数目, 数量（尤指巨大的）
*What quantity (ie How many) do you require? 你要求多大的数量?
* a small quantity of cutlery 少量的刀叉餐具
* It's cheaper to buy goods in quantity/in large quantities. 大批量购货较便宜.
3 (idm 习语) an unknown quantity => unknown.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
quantité, from Latin
quantitas, from quantus 'how much'
] [U and C]
an amount of something that can be counted or measuredquantity of The police also found a quantity of ammunition in the flat. Add 50 grams of butter, and the same quantity of sugar.a large/small/vast etc quantity of sth He had consumed a large quantity of alcohol. Huge quantities of oil were spilling into the sea.in large/small/sufficient etc quantities Buy vegetables in small quantities, for your immediate use. Your work has improved in quantity and quality this term.[U]
the large amount of something The sheer quantity of text meant that people did not read the whole of their newspaper.in quantity
in large amounts It's a lot cheaper if you buy it in quantity .
→be an unknown quantityatunknown1
HINT sense 1
Do not say 'a big quantity'. Say a large quantity.
1. The drug was produced in quantity and became cheaper. 于是这种药投入大批量生产，价格也比以往便宜。
2. The Russian dinner that evening was an unbelievable quantity of food. 那天晚上苏联的晚餐有着惊人丰盛的食物。
3. Quality matters more than quantity. 质重于量。
4. He put a large quantity of vermouth, both sweet and dry, into a pitcher of ice, added a smaller amount of gin, stirred the concoction rapidly, and poured it out. 他把大量味美思酒，甜酒和干酿都有，倒入一个盛着冰块儿的大水罐中，加了少量的杜松子酒，快速将混合物调和，然后再倒出来。
5. Suppose every sensor gives perfectly accurate readings of temperature, pressure, humidity, and any other quantity a meteorologist would want. 再假定每个传感器都极极端准确地读出了温度、气压、温度和气象学家需要的任何其他数据。