n.横杆,围栏,扶手,铁轨 vt.以横木围栏,铺铁轨 vi.责骂,抱怨
名词:railer 动词过去式:railed 过去分词:railed 现在分词:railing 第三人称单数:rails
(a) level or sloping bar or connected series of bars of wood or metal, eg forming part of a fence, the top of a banister, a protective barrier, etc （护栏等的）横条, 横挡, 扶手
*wooden rails in front of an altar 祭坛前的木栏杆
* the horses on the rails, ie those on the inside curve of a racecourse 挨近围栏的马（在跑道内圈一侧的）
* Hold the `handrail for safety, eg while descending steps. 抓住扶手以防 倒（如下楼时）.
* leaning on the ship's (guard-)rail looking out to sea 倚着船上的护栏眺望大海.
(b) level bar fixed to a wall for hanging things on （固定在墙上用来挂东西的）横杆
*a `towel-rail, eg beside a wash-basin 挂毛巾的横杆（如脸盆旁的）
* a `curtain rail 窗帘横杆. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page xvi.
2 (a) [C esp pl 尤作复数] steel bar or continuous line of steel bars fixed to the ground as one side of a track for trains or trams 铁轨; 轨道. =>illus at flange 见flange插图.
(b) [U, often attrib 常作定语] railways as a means of transport 铁路（交通）; 铁路运输
*a rail strike 铁路员工罢工
* rail travel, freight, etc 乘火车的旅行、铁路货运
* send sth by rail 由铁路运输某物
* British Rail 英国铁路.
3 (idm 习语) free on board/rail => free1. go off the `rails (Brit infml 口)
(a) become disorganized or out of control 陷于混乱; 失去控制
*Our schedule went completely off the rails during the strike. 我们的预定计画在罢工期间完全被打乱了.
(b) become mad or crazy 发疯; 发狂. jump the rails/track => jump2.
v (phr v) rail sth in/off surround or separate sth with rails 用栏杆围住或隔开某物
*rail off a field (from a road) 用栏杆把场地（与道路）隔开
* The winners' enclosure was railed in. 授奖区有栏杆围着.
v [I, Ipr] ~ (at/against sb/sth) complain, protest or reproach sb/sth strongly 极力抱怨、挑剔或责备某人[某事物]
*railing against fate 抱怨命运不好
* She railed at (him for) his laziness. 她因他懒惰而责备他.
Between 1913 and 1938, J.(Joseph) Hampton Rich, a resident of Mocksville, North Carolina, USA took it upon himself to keep the memory of Daniel Boone and his travels alive.
1. The difference between bus and rail fares is fractional. 公共汽车费与火车费相差无几。
2. Riding on its air cushion over a single rail, which it never touches, at speeds up to 300 m.p.h. 靠气垫在单轨上行驶而不接触轨道，时速可达每小时300英里。
3. Rail freight will begin quietly sometime in June. 铁路运输将于6月的某一天悄悄开通。
4. Once there, he would cling to the hand-rail until he reached the lower steps that the warmer tunnel air kept free of ice. 一到那儿，他就紧抓着地铁通道口的扶手一直往下走，因为地铁内空气暖和,下面几级台阶没有冰雪。
5. It now takes more than six hours by rail and boat. 现在乘火车加渡轮要6个多小时。