(US railroad) n
1 track with rails (rail1 2a) for trains to run on 铁路; 铁道
*railways under construction 修建中的铁路.
2 (often pl 常作复数) system of such tracks, together with the trains, etc running on them, and the organization and people needed for their operation 铁路系统; 铁路部门
*work on/for the railway(s) 在铁路部门工作
* a network of railways run by the state 国营铁路网
* [attrib 作定语] a railway station, carriage, engineer 火车站、火车车厢、铁路工程师.
a system of tracks along which trains run, or a system of trains
American Equivalent: railroad
a railway company
1. The gifts to him would have filled a railway car. 送给他的礼物将会装满一节火车车皮.
2. The railway of the future may be hovertrain. 将来的铁路很可能是"气垫火车"
3. The road runs parallel with the railway. 该公路与铁路平行.
4. They will also be building new roads and a special railway-line. 他们还将兴建新的公路和一条铁路专线。
5. The railway station was big, black and dark. 火车站很大，又黑又暗。
6. They will also be building new roads and a special railway line. 他们还将修筑一些新的道路和一条铁路专线。
7. This platform would serve as a port and a railway station. 这座平台将用作码头和火车站。
8. He suggested that a double railway-tunnel should be built. 他提议建一条双轨隧道，
9. And the railway of the future may well be the ´hovertrain´, 未来的火车或许能成为"气垫火车"，
10. After years of pre -conditioning, most of us have developed an unshakable faith in railway time- tables. 经过多年的应验之后，我们多数人对铁路时刻表都产生了不可动摇的信任。