1 [C, U] position in a scale of responsibility, quality, social status, etc （职务、身分、社会地位等的）等级
*ministers of Cabinet rank 内阁各大臣
* a painter of the first/top rank, ie one of the very best 第一流的画家
* people of (high) rank 地位高的人
* people of all ranks and classes 各阶层各阶级的人.
2 [C, U] position or grade in the armed forces 军阶; 军衔:promoted to the rank of captain 晋升到上尉军衔
* above/below a major in rank 军衔高于[低于]少校
* officers of high rank 高级军官
* reach the rank of colonel 高达上校军衔.
3 [C] line or row of things （物体的）行, 列, 排
*a `cab/`taxi rank 一排计程车
* Take the taxi at the head of the rank, ie the first in the line. 乘坐排在前头的那辆计程车.
4 (a) [C] line or row of soldiers, policemen, etc standing side by side （士兵、警察等肩并肩站成的）行列, 横列
*ranks of marching infantry 横排行进的步兵
* keep/break ranks, ie remain/fail to remain in line 保持[打乱]队形.
(b) the ranks [pl] (also `other ranks) ordinary soldiers, ie privates, corporals, etc, not officers 士兵（即二等兵、下士等, 非军官）
*join, serve in, etc the ranks 当兵
* rise from the ranks, ie be made an officer after serving as an ordinary soldier 行伍出身（由士兵升为军官）
* be reduced to the ranks, ie (of a sergeant, etc) be made an ordinary soldier as a punishment （指中士等）降级为士兵（作为处罚）
* (fig 比喻) join the ranks of the unemployed, ie become unemployed 加入失业者大军（沦为失业者）.
5 (idm 习语) close ranks => close4. pull rank => pull2.
v (not in the continuous tenses 不用于进行时态)
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.n/a] ~ sb/sth (as sth) place sb/sth in a rank; grade sb/sth according to quality, achievement, etc 将某人[某事物]置入行列中; （按特性、成就等）将某人[某事物]分等级
*I rank her achievement very highly. 我对她的成就评价很高.
* Where/How do you rank Karpov as a chess player? 你把卡尔波夫列为哪一级的棋手?
* I rank her among the country's best writers. 我认为她可属全国最优秀作家之列.
2 [Ipr] have a rank or place 属某等级; 居某地位
*Does he rank among/with the failures? 他可以算作失败的那一类人吗?
* A major ranks above a captain. 少校比上尉军衔高.
* a high-ranking official, delegate, etc 高级官员、代表等.
3 [Tn] (US) have a higher rank than (sb) 比（某人）级别高.
1 (a) (of plants, etc) growing too thickly; over-luxuriant （指植物等）生长过盛的; 过于繁茂的
*rank grass, ivy, etc 蔓生的杂草、常春藤等
* roses that grow rank 过于茂盛的玫瑰.
(b) ~ (with sth) (of land) full of or likely to produce many weeds （指土地）长满杂草的, 易生杂草的
*rank soil, earth, etc 杂草滋生的土壤、土地等
* a field rank with nettles and thistles 一块长满荨 和大蓟的土地.
2 smelling or tasting bad; offensive 气味或味道不好的; 讨厌的
*rank tobacco 呛人的烟叶
* the rank stench of rotting meat 腐肉的臭味.
3 [attrib 作定语] (esp derog 尤作贬义) complete and utter; unmistakable 完全的; 不折不扣的
*a rank traitor, lie 十足的卖国贼、谎言
* rank insolence, stupidity, injustice, etc 极端的无礼、愚蠢、不公等
* The winning horse was a rank outsider. 获胜的马是一匹完全不起眼儿的冷门马.