形容词比较级:rarer 最高级:rarest 名词:rareness
adj (-r, -st)
1 not often happening or seen, etc; unusual 稀有的; 罕见的; 不寻常的
*a rare occurrence, sight, visitor 稀罕事、罕见的景象、稀客
* a rare book, plant, butterfly, ie one of only a few that exist珍本书、珍奇的植物、稀有的蝴蝶
* With rare exceptions, he does not appear in public now. 除了极其个别的情况外, 他现在不公开露面.
* It is rare for her to arrive late. 她很少有迟到的时候.
2 [attrib 作定语] (dated 旧) unusually good or great 极好的; 极大的
*be shy, tolerant, etc to a rare degree 极为 腆、宽容等
* We had a rare (old) time at the party. 我们在聚会时玩得高兴极了.
3 (of gases, esp the atmosphere) of less than usual density （指气体, 尤指空气）稀薄的.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*A thing or an event may be rare when it is found or occurs infrequently. 很少见到的东西或很少发生的现象, 可用rare一词来表达. It may once have been common 这类东西或现象可能在过去很普通
*The panda is now a rare animal. 熊猫现在是稀有动物.
* A top hat is a rare sight these days. 高顶大礼帽现在已不多见. It may have a special value 这类事物有的可能有特殊价值
*a painting of rare distinction 一幅希世之珍的画儿. Something, usually a thing in daily use, is scarce when it is hard to get because it is in short supply 有些东西, 通常为日用品, 因匮乏而难以得到, 即是scarce
*Water is scarce in the desert. 在沙漠里水是很难得到的.
* Strawberries are scarce this year. 今年草莓很少.
adj (usu of beef) cooked so that the inside is still red and juicy; underdone （通常指牛肉）半熟的（里面色红肉嫩的）
*a (medium-) rare steak 半生半熟的牛排.
1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin:
rear 'lightly cooked'
(15-19 centuries), from Old English
not seen or found very often, or not happening very often
→unusual This species of plant is becoming increasingly rare. I only saw Helen on the rare occasions when I went into her shop.it is rare (for sb/sth) to do sth It is rare to find such an interesting group of people. It is very rare for her to miss a day at school.
meat that is rare has only been cooked for a short time and is still red
, well-done well-done I like my steak rare. [only before noun]BrE old-fashioned
very good or surprising We had a rare old time at the party.
1. By this time, a Lancaster bomber in reasonable condition was rare and worth rescuing. 到了那个时候，状况良好的兰开斯特轰炸机实属罕见，值得抢救。
2. There are rare instances when justice almost ceases to be an abstract conception . 正义几乎不再是抽象概念的情况是很少的。
3. There are rare instances when justice almost ceases to be an abstract conception . 正义几乎不再是抽象概念的情况是很少的。
4. These flowers are very rare in this country. 这个国家里，这种花是很稀有的。
5. This is a rare species of rose. 这是一种罕见的玫瑰。
6. The more expensive kind of antique shop where rare objects are beautifully displayed in glass cases to keep them free from dust is usually a forbidding place. 高档一点的古玩店为了防尘，把文物漂亮地陈列在玻璃柜子里，那里往往令人望而却步。
7. There are rare instances when justice almost ceases to be an abstract concept. 在个别情况下，正义不再是一种抽象概念。
8. The curious bottle, which now adorns the bookcase in his study, was his first and last purchase of rare cosmetics. 在他书房的书柜里摆着那瓶形状古怪的香水泥就是他第一次也是最后一次购买的稀有化妆品。
9. This is a rare occurrence as our climate seldom goes to extremes. 但是在我们这里，气候很少发生异常，河水极少泛滥。
10. They show unusual patterns for several genes, including the highest rate of a rare blood type. 他们有几组少见的基因型，包括一种罕见血型的发生率在巴斯克人中也是最高的。