1 [U] rareness 稀有; 罕见.
2 [C] thing that is uncommon or unusual; thing valued because it is rare 稀有的事物; 因稀少而珍贵的东西
*Rain is a rarity in the desert. 在沙漠中雨是很少见的.
* ancient scrolls and other rarities 古书卷等珍品.
be a rarity
to not happen or exist very often
Visitors were a rarity in the village.
something that is valuable or interesting because it is rare
Some of these plants are national rarities.
the quality of being rare
Such stamps are expensive because of their rarity.
1. There is always hope that in its labyrinth of musty, dark, disordered rooms a real rarity will be found amongst the piles of assorted junk that litter the floors. 人们还常常有希望在发霉、阴暗、杂乱无章、迷宫般的店堂里，从杂乱地摆放在地面上的、一堆堆各式各样的破烂货里找到一件稀世珍品。
2. No one discovers a rarity by chance. A truly dedicated searcher for art treasures 没有人能碰巧发现一件珍宝。真正潜心搜寻艺术珍品的人必须有耐心。
3. No one discovers a rarity by chance. 无论是谁都不会一下子就发现一件珍品。
4. Many animals are endangered by their rarity and beauty. 许多动物因自身物种珍奇和皮毛美丽而濒于灭种威胁。