n.延伸,区域,河段,范围,(车子前后轴的)联接杆,横风行驶 vt.到达,达到,伸出,影响 vi.达到,延伸,伸出手,传开
名词:reacher 动词过去式:reached 过去分词:reached 现在分词:reaching 第三人称单数:reaches 形容词:reachable
1 [Ipr, Ip] ~ for sth; ~ out (to sb/sth) stretch out (one's hand) in order to touch, grasp or take sth 伸出（手）以触到、抓到或拿到某物
*He reached for his gun. 他伸手去拿枪.
* I reached across the table for the jam. 我伸手到桌子那端去拿果酱.
* (fig 比喻) We must reach out to those in need. 我们应该伸出援助之手, 帮助有困难的人.
2 [Tn.p, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth down/over; ~ sth (down/over) for sb (infml 口) stretch one's hand out or up and take sth; get and give sth (to sb) 伸手取某物; 把某物递给（某人）
*Please reach (me) the atlas down from the bookshelf. 请把那本地图册从书架上取下来（递给我）.
* Can you reach me (over) my slippers? They're under the bed. 你能把我的拖鞋递给我吗? 拖鞋在床底下呢.
3 [Ipr, Tn] ~ (to) sth extend to sth; be able to stretch up, out, etc and touch sth 延伸到某处; 够得着某物
*I can just about reach the apples on the top branch. 我只差一点就能够着最上边树枝上的苹果.
* My feet can hardly reach the pedals. 我的脚怎么也够不着踏板.
* Her hair nearly reached down to her waist. 她的头发几乎垂到了腰部.
4 [Tn] communicate with (sb) esp by telephone 与（某人）取得联系; （尤指）给（某人）打电话
*reach her at home on 0355-694162 拨0355-694162号码打电话到她家与她联系
* I can't reach him by phone/on the phone. 我打电话找不到他.
(a) go as far as (sb/sth/a place); get to or arrive at 到达（某人[某物]）那里; 到达（某处）
*reach York by one o'clock 一点钟到约克
* reach the end of the chapter 读到这一章的末尾
* reach a speed of
500 mph 达到每小时500英里的速度
* Not a sound reached our ears. 我们一点声音都听不见.
* The rescuers reached him just in time. 救援人员及时赶到他那里.
(b) achieve (sth); attain 达成（某事物）; 达到; 获得
*reach a conclusion, decision, verdict, etc 做出结论、决定、判决等
* You'll know better when you reach my age. 你到了我这样的年纪就明白多了.
* The appeal fund has reached its target of 10000. 吁请捐助的款项已达到10000英镑这一预定目标.
* We can never reach perfection. 我们不可能做到尽善尽美.
6 (idm 习语) sth comes to/reaches sb's ears => ear1. hit/make/reach the headlines => headline (head1). reach for the stars be very ambitious 雄心壮志; 野心勃勃.
1 [sing] extent to which a hand, etc can be stretched out 伸手等可达到的距离
*a boxer with a long reach 出拳距离远的拳击手.
2 [C usu pl 通常作复数] continuous extent of a river between two bends or of a canal between two locks （河流两弯曲处或运河两船闸之间的）河段
*the upper/lower reaches of the Thames 泰晤士河的上[下]游.
3 (idm 习语) beyond/out of/within (one's) `reach
(a) outside or inside the distance that a hand, etc can be stretched out 手不能及[伸手可及]
*have a dictionary within (arm's) reach 把词典放在（伸手）够得着的地方
* The shelf is so high it is well out of/beyond my reach. 架子太高, 我根本够不着.
* Keep those medicines out of reach of the children/out of the children's reach. 把那些药放在孩子够不着的地方.
(b) (fig 比喻) beyond or within sb's/sth's capability, authority, effectiveness, etc 非[为]某人的[某事物的]能力、权力、影响等所能及
*concepts beyond the reach of one's intelligence 本人不能理解的概念
* Such highly-paid jobs are out of his reach. 这类报酬高的工作没有他的份儿.
* The gang live abroad, beyond reach of the British police. 这帮匪徒住在国外, 英国警方鞭长莫及. within (easy) `reach (of sb/sth) inside a distance that can be travelled (easily) 在可（易于）前往的距离以内
*The hotel is within easy reach of the beach. 这家旅馆离海滩很近.
1. Byrd now knew that he would be able to reach the South Pole which was 300 miles away, for there were no more mountains in sight. 伯德这时知道他能够顺利飞抵300英里以外的南极了，因为前面再没有山了。
2. But the stars are so far away that their light still takes years to reach us. 但是由于星星离我们太远，以至于它们的光到达我们这里需要好些年时间。
3. By the time we reach the Rockies, my parents try to make me look at the spectacular landscapes we're passing by. 当我们驶近落基山脉时，我父母想叫我看看我们外面的壮丽景色。
4. But with such a large population base, the country must still convert millions more to the idea of birth control if it is to reach its population targets. 但是因为该国的人口基数十分大，要想达到政府的人口目标，印尼还必须再转变几百万人的思想，让他们接受节制生育的观念。
5. Before I reach the door, I think I hear a voice say, money. Before I open the door I hear a voice and turn to see the man with a gun. 我同样也很生气，因为那是一个我从未见过、也从未伤害过的人在用枪指着我。
6. By the time the children reach high school, something remarkable has happened. 到这些孩子上高中时，引人注目的事发生了。
7. Within the first six months of life the human brain doubles in capacity; it doubles again by age four and then grows rapidly until we reach sexual maturity. 人脑的容量在生命开始的最初六周增长了一倍，到四岁时又增长一倍，其后大脑的容量迅速发展直到性成熟为止。
8. The children compete against each other to reach the other end of the pool. 孩子们竞相向池的另一头驶去。
9. The swimmer strained to reach the shore. 那游泳者竭尽全力游到岸边。
10. The Americans would happily reach one accord on standards for medical devices and then hammer out different pacts covering, say, electronic goods and drug manufacturing. 美国人很愿意就医疗器械的标准达成一个协议，然后推敲出不同的合同，用以涵盖 -- 比如说 -- 电子产品和药品的生产。