(a) action of a person who reads 阅读; 朗读
*be fond of reading 喜欢读书
* [attrib 作定语] reading matter, ie books, newspapers, etc 阅读材料（书、报等）
* have a reading knowledge of French, ie understand it when written 有阅读法语的能力.
(b) books, etc intended to be read 读物; 读本
*heavy/light reading, ie for study/entertainment 学习[消遣]读物
* Her articles make/are interesting reading for travellers. 她的文章旅行的人很喜欢看.
(c) knowledge gained from books 书本知识
*a pupil of wide reading 有丰富书本知识的学生.
2 [C] amount indicated or registered by a measuring instrument （仪器上的）读数
*readings on a thermometer, dial, etc 温度计、刻度盘等的读数
* The readings we took were well above average. 我们记录的读数远远高于平均数.
3 [C] way in which sth is interpreted or understood （对某事物的）解释, 理解
*my reading of this clause in the contract, ie what I think it means 我对合同中这一条款的理解
* Give me your reading of the situation. 告诉我你对局势的看法.
4 [C] variant wording of a text, esp when more than one version of it exists 异文（尤指不同版本的）
*different readings (eg by editors) of a speech in Hamlet 《哈姆雷特》剧中一段台词的异文（如经编者改动过的）.
(a) entertainment at which sth is read to an audience; passage read in this way 朗诵会; 朗诵的章节
*a poetry-/play-reading 诗歌[剧本]朗诵会
* readings from Dickens 狄更斯作品的朗诵片段.
(b) formal announcement of sth to an audience 向公众正式宣布的事物; 告白
*the reading of a will, marriage banns, etc 遗嘱、结婚等的启事.
(c) formal reading aloud of a passage from the Bible （在仪式上朗读的）《圣经》中的章节
*a reading from St John's gospel 选自《约翰福音》的朗读.
6 [C] (in the British parliament) one of the three stages of debate through which a Bill must pass before it is ready for royal assent （英国议会中）一法案在提交国王批准以前须通过的三读之任何一次.
1【activity/skill】2【books】3【act of reading】4【understanding】5【to a group】6 make (for) interesting/fascinating/compelling etc reading7【measurement】8【in parliament】
the activity or skill of understanding written words She loves reading. Reading is taught using a combination of several methods.【BOOKS】[U]
books and other things that you can read Her main reading seems to be mystery novels. a bit of light reading (=things that are easy and enjoyable to read) for my holiday There's a list of further reading (=other things you can read) at the end of each chapter. a supply of interesting reading material【ACT OF READING】 [singular]
when you read something The book is quite difficult on first reading . a close reading of the text (=when you read it very carefully)【UNDERSTANDING】[C]
your way of understanding what a particular statement, situation, event etc means
= interpretationreading of What's your reading of the government's response to this crisis?【TO A GROUP】[C]a)
an occasion when a piece of literature is read to a group of people a poetry reading at the bookstoreb)
a piece of writing, especially from the Bible, that is read to a group of people The first reading is from Corinthians I, Chapter 3.make (for) interesting/fascinating/compelling etc reading
to be interesting etc to read Your report made fascinating reading.【MEASUREMENT】[C]
a number or amount shown on a measuring instrument We take temperature readings every two hours.【IN PARLIAMENT】[C]
one of the occasions in the British Parliament or the US Congress when a suggested new law is discussed the second reading of the Industrial Relations Bill
1. But he´s not reading his newspaper tonight. 但今天晚上他没看报。
2. Bonpland set up one of the electrometers to measure the electric discharge, but there was no reading. 庞普朗安装了一只电表来测量放电量，但电表上没有任何读数。
3. But soon his laughter faded, and later he told me he was astonished that my reading was so " accurate" . 但很快他的笑声就渐渐止住了。后来，他告诉我说，他非常惊讶我的解读如此"精确"。
4. While my friend, George, was reading in bed, two thieves climbed into his kitchen. 我的朋友乔治正在床上看书时. 两个贼爬进了他的厨房.
5. We enjoy reading about them, especially when we find that, like the praying mantis, they lead perfectly horrible lives. 我们喜欢看有关昆虫的书，尤其是当我们了解螳螂等过着一种令人生畏的生活时，就更加爱读有关昆虫的书了。
6. While my friend, George, was reading in bed, two thieves climbed into his kitchen. 当我的朋友乔治在床上看书时，两个小偷爬进了他的厨房。
7. When he finishes, the entire reading, writing, and math patterns he needs to know are impressed right on his brain. 离开时，他所需要掌握的全部读、写和数学模式都直接印入了他的大脑。
8. The asterisk after "Reduced to $ 1.95" refers to a footnote reading "Today only." 在“减至一点九五元”后，有个星号标示着一个注脚，上面写着“只限今天。”
9. The blacksmith was there reading the notice. 那个铁匠正在那里看布告。
10. They are having a reading contest now. 他们在进行阅读竞赛.