1 (a) existing as a thing or occurring as a fact; not imagined or supposed 确实的; 实在的
*real and imagined fears, illnesses, achievements 确实的和想像的恐惧、疾病、成就
* Was it a real person you saw or a ghost? 你看见的是真人还是鬼?
* The growth of violent crime is a very real problem. 暴力犯罪的增加是个非常现实的问题.
(b) [attrib 作定语] not apparent; actual or true 真实的; 真正的
*Real life is sometimes stranger than fiction. 现实生活有时比小说还离奇.
* Who is the real manager of the firm (ie the person who effectively runs it)? 谁是这家商行真正管事的经理?
* The doctors couldn't bring about a real (ie permanent) cure. 这些医生都无根治良方.
* Tell me the real reason. 把真正的原因告诉我.
2 not imitation; genuine 非模仿的; 真的
*real silk, gold, pearls, etc 真丝、真金、真正的珍珠
* Is that real hair or a wig? 那是真发还是假发?
3 [attrib作定语] (of incomes, values, etc) assessed by their purchasing power （指收入、价值等）按购买力衡量的
*Real incomes have gone up by 10% in the past year. 去年实际收入提高了10%.
* This represents a reduction of 5% in real terms, ie when inflation, etc has been allowed for. 这相当于实际上减少了5%（考虑到通货膨胀等因素）.
4 (idm 习语) for `real (infml 口)
(a) seriously; in earnest 严肃地; 认真地
*This isn't a practice game; we're playing for real. 这可不是练习; 我们是在认真地比赛.
(b) genuine 真正的
*I don't think her tears were for real. 我认为她的眼泪不是真的. the ,real `thing/Mc`Coy/ mE5kRI; mE`kRI/ (infml 口)
(a) the ultimate experience, achievement, etc 了不起的经历、成就等
*Marathons are the real McCoy these little jogs are no challenge at all. 马拉松赛跑才是真玩意儿--这些慢跑根本不算回事.
(b) the authentic article 真货色
*Bottled lemon juice is no good you must use the real thing. 瓶装柠檬汁可不行--你得用真货.
adv (US or Scot infml 用于美国或苏格兰, 口) very; really 非常; 的确
*have a real fine time, a real good laugh 玩得、笑得非常痛快
* I'm real sorry. 我非常抱歉.
1. But real tramps are not beggars. 但真正的流浪并不是乞丐。
2. But it is the real bottom line in every area of society and a discipline we must demand of ourselves. 但它却是社会各领域的真正基础，也是我们必须要求自己遵循的一条原则。
3. For then man was faced with a real need to understand something about the seasons. 因为当时人们面临着了解四季的实际需要，
4. Was it a real person you saw or a ghost? 你看见的是真人还是鬼?
5. While human cloning might not offer great benefits to humanity, no one has yet made a convincing case that it would do any real harm, either. 虽然克隆人类可能不会给人类带来很大的好处，但也没有人能提供有力的例证证明它会带来真正的危害。
6. We have to decide whether to shoot and when, just like the police officer has to when faced with this situation for real. 我们必须判断是否该开枪，何时该开枪，就像警察真实地面对此情此景时必须做出判断一样。
7. The real escapist can watch an free film show and sip champagne on some services. 真正不想享受飞行的人，要某些班机上可以看看免费电影，或者饮用香槟酒。
8. There can be no real cohesion in an alliance if the parties have little in common. 如果一个联盟的参与者之间没什么共同性，那么就没有真正的凝结力可言。
9. This cookery book has been written by a real epicure. 这本食谱是由一位真正的美食家写的.
10. The real escapist can watch an free film show and sip champagne on some services. 真正不想享受飞行的人，要某些班机上可以看看免费电影，或者饮用香槟酒。