名词:realizer 动词过去式:realized 过去分词:realized 现在分词:realizing 第三人称单数:realizes 形容词:realizable
1 [Tn, Tf, Tw no passive 不用于被动语态] (not used in the continuous tenses 不用于进行时态) be fully aware of or accept (sth) as a fact; understand 认识到或承认（某事物）属实; 了解到
*realize one's mistake 认识到自己的错误
* realize the extent of the damage 了解到破坏的程度
* She realized that he had been lying. 她明白了他一直在说谎.
* I fully realize why you did it. 我完全了解你为什么要做这事.
2 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] convert (plans, etc) into reality 实现（计画等）
*realize one's hopes, ambitions, etc 实现自己的希望、抱负等
* Her worst fears were realized, ie The things she was most afraid would happen did happen. 她最担心的事情终于发生了.
3 (fml 文)
(a) [Tn] convert (property, shares, etc) into money by selling 变卖（财产、股票等）
*realize one's assets 变卖自己的财产
* Can these bonds berealized at short notice? 这些债券能在短期内兑现吗?
(b)[Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (on sth) (of goods, etc) be sold for (a price); (of a person) sell sth for (a price) （指货物等）卖得（某价钱）; （指人）将某物卖得（某价钱）
*The furniture realized
900 at the sale. 拍卖这家具获900英镑.
* How much did you realize on those paintings? 那些画你卖了多少钱?
v [T not usually in progressive]
3 somebody's worst fears were realized
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: French;Origin: réaliser, from Old French real; REAL1]
to know and understand something, or suddenly begin to understand it
I suddenly realized that the boy was crying.
Do you realize you're an hour late?
realize who/what/how etc
I'm sorry, I didn't realize who you were.
It took us a while to realize the extent of the tragedy.
It was only later that I realized my mistake.
formal to achieve something that you were hoping to achieve
She never realized her ambition of winning an Olympic gold medal.
a young singer who has not yet realized her full potential (=achieved as much as she can achieve)
sb's worst fears were realized
used to say that the thing that you were most afraid of has actually happened
His worst fears were realized when he heard that Chris had been arrested.
a)formal to obtain or earn an amount of money
The campaign realized $5000.
We realized a small profit on the sale of the house.
b) realize an asset
technical to change something that you own into money by selling it
WORD CHOICE: realize, recognize
If you realize a fact, you know and understand it, or begin to understand it : Do you realize how dangerous this is? | I realized that the job was going to take longer than I thought.
If you recognize a fact or problem, you accept that it exists : We recognize that many students need extra help. | The government does not recognize the need for more funding.
!! Realize is not followed by 'about' or 'of' : She already had a boyfriend, but I didn't realize this (NOT didn't realize about this).
1. Both men had hardly had time to realize what was happening when they were thrown violently into the sea. 两个人都来不及弄清发生了什么事，就被猛烈地抛进了海里。
2. But they don´t realize one important thing. 然而他们没有认识到重要的一点，
3. Both men had hardly had time to realize what was happening when they were thrown violently into the sea. 他们两个还没来得及意识到究竟发生了什么事情，就被猛地抛入了海里。
4. We didn´t realize the fragility of the happiness. 我们没有意识到幸福会如此短暂。
5. We are determined to realize the mechanization in agriculture. 我们决心实现农业机械化。
6. While they enjoy the comfort and banal luxury of their dwelling, they do not realize that they are deprived of the necessities of life. 在享受自己住宅的舒适和庸俗的豪华时，却没有意识到被剥夺了生活所必需的东西。
7. With her work taking off in so many directions, it was perhaps inevitable that Engelbreit would eventually realize her dream of illustrating a children's book. 由于恩格尔布赖特的工作在多方面获得成功，她最终实现为一本儿童书绘制插图的梦想也就自然而然了。
8. They did not seem to realize what the poison of Nazism (纳粹主义) was doing to them. 他们似乎并没有意识到纳粹主义对他们的毒害有多深。
9. The biggest obstacle for many parents, they say, is to realize their own weaknesses. 他们说，对许多家长而言，最困难的是让他们意识到自己的不足。
10. They often do not realize that bribery in various forms is on the increase in many countries and, 他们通常没意识到在很多国家，形形色色的贿赂行为正日益增多。