n.理由,原因,动机,理智,前提 vt.说服,推论,辩论 vi.推论,劝说,思考
名词:reasoner 动词过去式:reasoned 过去分词:reasoned 现在分词:reasoning 第三人称单数:reasons
1 [C, U] ~ (for sth/doing sth); ~ (to do sth); ~ (why.../that...) (fact put forward as or serving as the) cause of, motive for or justification for sth 原因; 动机; 理由
*for one/some reason or other 由于某种原因
* have adequate/sufficient reason for doing sth 有充分的[足够的]理由做某事
* all the more reason for doing/to do sth 做某事的更为充足的理由
* Give me your reasons for going/the reasons foryour going. 告诉我你去的动机.
* There is/We have (good) reason to believe that he is lying. 有[我们有]（充分的）理由认为他说谎.
* Is there any (particular) reason why you can't come? 你有什么（特殊的）原因不能来?
* The reason why I'm late is that/because I missed the bus. 我迟到的原因是没赶上公共汽车.
* My reason is that the cost will be too high. 我的理由是费用太高.
* We aren't going, for the simple reason that we can't afford it. 我们不去, 原因很简单
* She complained, with reason (ie rightly), that she had been underpaid. 她抱怨她工资一直很低, 这也不无道理. =>Usage 见所附用法.
2 [U] power of the mind to think, understand, form opinions, etc 思考、理解、推想等的能力; 理性
*Only man has reason. 只有人类才有理性.
3 one's/sb's reason [sing] one's/sb's sanity 自己的[某人的]理智
*lose one's reason/senses, ie go mad 失去理智（即发疯）
* We feared for her reason, ie were afraid that she might go mad. 我们担心她可能失去理智.
4 [U] what is right or practical or possible; common sense or judgement 道理; 情理; 明智; 常识; 常理
*see/listen to/hear/be open to (ie be prepared to accept) reason 讲道理（服理）
* There's a good deal of reason in what you say. 你的话很有道理.
5 (idm 习语) be,yond/,past all `reason not reasonable or acceptable 不合道理的; 无法接受的
*Her outrageous remarks were/went beyond all reason. 她那些无礼的话全无道理. ,bring sb to `reason; ,make sb see `reason make sb stop acting foolishly, resisting uselessly, etc 使某人停止愚蠢的举动、无谓的抵抗等. by reason of sth (fml 文) because of sth 因为或由于某事物
*He was excused by reason of his age. 他因年高而获宥. for reasons/some reason best known to one`self (esp joc 尤作戏谑语) for reasons that are hard for others to understand or discover 出于惟本人才知道的原因
*For reasons best known to himself, he drinks tea from a beer glass. 谁都猜不透他为什么要用啤酒杯子喝茶. (do anything) in/within `reason sensible or reasonable 理智的; 合理的
*I'll do anything within reason to earn my living. 为了谋生, 只要是正当的事我什么事都做. lose all reason => lose. rhyme or reason => rhyme n. it/that ,stands to `reason it/that is obvious to everyone 这是人人都清楚的
*It stands to reason that nobody will work without pay. 做工作不能白做, 这是明摆着的事.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*A cause (of something) is what makes something happen *cause指事物发生的原因
*The police are investigating the cause of the explosion. 警方正在调查爆炸的原因.
* The causes of the First World War. 第一次世界大战的起因. Reason (for something) has a wider use. *reason一词用法较广. It can be the explanation that people give for why something is done 可用以解释做某事的原因或理由
*What was the reason for his resignation? ?
* She didn't give any reasons for leaving. 她未做任何解释就走了. Reason, justification and cause (for something) can indicate that the explanation is acceptable to people in general, or reasonable *reason、justification、cause三词均指用以解释的理由是一般人都可以接受的, 或曰reasonable
*The police had no reason to suspect him/no justification for suspecting him/no cause for suspicion (ie They didn't suspect him or shouldn't have suspected him). 警方是没有理由怀疑他的（即
*警方未怀疑他或不该怀疑他）. Ground is the formal, especially legal, justification for an action. *ground是用于较庄重场合的另一同义词, 尤用于法律文件中. It is commonly used in the plural 此词常用作复数
*Boredom is not a ground for divorce. 日久生厌不能成为离婚的理由.
* I left my job on medical grounds. 我由于健康原因而辞去了工作. A motive for doing something is a feeling or desire within people which makes them act *motive指想做某事的感觉或愿望
*He claimed that his motive for stealing was hunger. 他说他因为饿才去偷东西.
* The crime seemed to have been committed without
(a) motive. 这一罪案似乎并无作案动机.
1 (a) [I] use one's power to think, understand, form opinions, etc 思考; 理解; 推理
*man's ability to reason 人的思考能力.
(b) [Tf no passive 不用于被动语态] conclude or state as a step in this process 推论; 推断
*He reasoned that if we started at dawn, we would be there by noon. 他推断, 我们要是黎明出发, 中午就能到.
2 (phr v) reason sb into/out of sth persuade sb by argument to do/not to do sth 以理说服某人做[不做]某事
*reason sb out of his fears 劝说某人消除恐惧
* She was reasoned into a sensible course of action. 她听人劝而采取了理智的做法. reason sth out find an answer to (a problem, etc) by considering various possible solutions 考虑各种可能性以找出对（问题等）的解决办法
*The detective tried to reason out how the thief had escaped. 这个侦探反复琢磨想弄明白那个窃贼是怎样逃跑的. reason with sb argue in order to convince or persuade sb 为说服某人而与之理论
*I reasoned with her for hours about the danger, but she would not change her mind. 我跟她争辩了几个小时,想让她认识到危险性, 但她就是不听.
* There's no reasoning with that woman, ie She won't listen to arguments. 那个女人简直不可理喻.
1. For the simple reason that I was left with several curiously shaped bits of metal which did not seem to fit anywhere. 原因很简单，因为还剩下几个形状奇特的零件似乎哪里也装不上去。
2. The airport was built during the war, but for some reason it could not be used then. 这机场虽然建于战争时期，但由于某种原因当时没有交付使用。
3. This rule is quite consonant to reason. 这个规则很合情理。
4. The reason for such strange behavior is beyond my ken. 我无法解释这些古怪的行为。
5. There is no reason to believe that this pace will slacken. 没有理由使人们相信这个速度会变慢。
6. There is no reason to believe that this pace will slacken. 没有理由使人们相信这个速度会变慢。
7. The Butterfly Effect is the reason. 原因是蝴蝶效应。
8. The reason lies in its gravity. 其原因在于月球的重力。
9. The airport was built years ago, but for some reason it could not be used then. 机场是许多年前建的，但由于某种原因当时未能启用。
10. Then, even if you haven't uncovered the reason, you should begin to make firm decisions and practice responding to your children's requests in a prompt, definite manner. 然后，即使没能找出原因，你也该开始作出果断的决定，并试着用迅速、果断的方式对孩子的要求作出反应。