cognis＝to know（知道） 变化型 gnos
/,rekəg'nɪʃn; ,rɛkəˇ`nɪʃən/ n
1 [U] recognizing or being recognized 认识; 认出; 承认
*an award in recognition of one's services, achievements, etc 为表彰某人的贡献、成就等而授予的奖励
* He has won wide recognition in the field of tropical medicine. 他在热带疾患这一医学领域里广获赞誉.
* (fml 文) Britain's recognition of (ie establishment of diplomatic relations with) the new regime is unlikely. 这个新政权不大可能获英国承认.
2 (idm 习语) change, etc beyond/out of (all) recog`nition change so much that recognition is very difficult 变化大得难以认出
*The town has altered out of all recognition since I was last here. 自从我上次离开这里以来, 这小城已变得认不出来了.
the act of realizing and accepting that something is true or important
Don's recognition of the importance of Suzy in his life
There is general recognition that the study techniques of many students are weak.
official recognition of the need for jail reform
public respect and thanks for someone's work or achievements
He has achieved recognition and respect as a scientist.
The importance of voluntary organizations in the economy still needs to be given recognition .
in recognition of sth
He was presented with a gold watch in recognition of his service to the company.
the act of knowing someone or something because you have known or learned about them in the past
He stared at her, but there was no sign of recognition .
change beyond/out of all recognition
The bakery business has changed beyond all recognition in the last 10 years.
the act of officially accepting that an organization, government, person etc has legal or official authority
the recognition of Latvia as an independent state
the government's failure to achieve international recognition
the ability of a computer to recognize speech
speech recognition systems
1. The artist craved recognition of his talents. 这位艺术家渴望他的天才得到承认。
2. He has changed beyond recognition. 他已变得使人认不出来了.
3. After you deal with your hostile feelings, recognition of the temporary nature of culture shock begins. 在你对付过了自己的敌对情绪后，你就会开始认识到文化冲击的短暂性。