副词:reducibly 形容词:reducible 名词:reducer 动词过去式:reduced 过去分词:reduced 现在分词:reducing 第三人称单数:reduces
ducc＝to lead（领导） 变化型 duct
/rɪ'dju:s; [US] -'du:s; rɪ`dus/
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sth) (to/by sb) make sth smaller in size, number, degree, price, etc 缩减（体积、数量、程度、价格等）; 减小; 减少; 减低; 降低
*reduce volume, quantity, pressure, speed 缩小体积、减少数量、降低压力、减低速度
* increase profits by reducing costs 降低成本以增加利润
* reduce one's weight from
6 kilos 把体重从98公斤减少到92公斤[减少6公斤]
* Antibiotics will reduce the swelling. 使用抗菌素能消肿.
* This shirt was greatly/drastically reduced in the sale. 这种衬衣在大减价时降价很多.
2 [I] (infml 口 esp US) lose weight intentionally; diet （有意识地）减轻体重; 节食.
3 [Tn.pr] ~ sb (from sth) to sth make sb lower in rank or status; demote sb 降低某人的级别或地位; 降职
*reduce a sergeant to the ranks, ie make him an ordinary soldier 把一名中士降为士兵
* The reform has reduced us to servants of the State. 这一改革把我们都降为公务员了.
4 [Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (from sth) to sth bring sb/sth into a specified (usu worse) state or condition 使某人[某事物]陷入某种（通常指更坏的）状态或状况中
*be reduced to begging, borrowing 沦落到得要饭、借债
* reduce sb to tears, silence, despair, obedience 使某人流泪、沉默、绝望、顺从
* reduce the chaos in one's office to some form of order 改变办公室的混乱状况, 使之有些条理
* Overwork has reduced him to a physical wreck. 他过度劳累而损害了健康.
* The fire reduced the house to ashes. 这场火灾把那所房子化为灰烬.
5 [Tn.pr] ~ sth to sth change sth to a more general or basic form 将 某事物概括或简化成某种形式
*reduce an equation, argument, issue to its simplest form 把某方程式、论据、问题化为最简单形式
* reduce a problem to two main issues 把某问题归纳成两个要点.
6 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to sth) (chemistry 化) remove oxygen from or add hydrogen or electrons to (a compound) 将（化合物）还原
*reduce water (ie to hydrogen) by electrolysis 用电解法把水还原（为氢）
* reduce a compound to its constituentelements 将一化合物还原为构成该化合物的元素. Cf 参看 oxidize (oxide).
1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin:
reducere 'to lead back'
, from ducere 'to lead'
to make something smaller or less in size, amount, or price
→reduction The governor announced a new plan to reduce crime. The helmet law should reduce injuries in motorcycle accidents. Small businesses will need to reduce costs in order to survive.reduce sth by sth The workforce has been reduced by half.reduce sth (from sth) to sth All the shirts were reduced to £10. The new bridge should reduce travelling time from 50 minutes to 15 minutes. [I and T]
if you reduce a liquid, or if it reduces, you boil it so that there is less of it [I]especially AmE
to become thinner by losing weight
→dietbe in reduced circumstancesold-fashioned
to be poorer than you were beforereduce to
[reduce sb/sth to sth] phr vreduce sb to tears/silence etc
to make someone cry, be silent etc She was reduced to tears in front of her students.reduce sb to doing sth
to make someone do something they would rather not do, especially when it involves behaving or living in a way that is not as good as before Eventually Charlotte was reduced to begging on the streets.reduce sth to ashes/rubble/ruins
to destroy something, especially a building, completely A massive earthquake reduced the city to rubble.
to change something into a shorter simpler form Many jobs can be reduced to a few simple points.
1. But spoiling children with material things does little to reduce parental guilt (since parents never feel they've given enough), 但是, 用物质的东西来宠爱孩子几乎不能减轻父母的内疚感（因为父母从不会感到他们给孩子的东西已经够了),
2. C.You insist on discussing the problems with your spouse to see how you can reduce the pressure. c.你坚持与你的配偶讨论并考虑你们怎样才能减轻压力。
3. But the national effort to reduce health care costs has resulted in dramatic changes in the way hospitals think. 然而，全国范围内要求降低医疗成本的努力，导致了医院思维方式的戏剧性改变。
4. The government hopes to reduce this average to 2.1 children per woman by 2005. 印尼政府希望到2005年的时候，每个妇女的平均生育数可下降到2.1个。
5. To reduce these seniors' risk of falling, Tinetti used multiple methods, including having an exercise teacher go to a person's home and teach balance exercises. 为了降低这些老年人摔跤的风险，蒂内提使用了多种方法，包括请运动教练登门教授平衡练习法。
6. Thus, the direction of the meeting is a mutual attempt to reduce confrontation and achieve harmony. 因此，会晤所向是双方共同努力减少对峙，谋求和谐。
7. To further reduce the waiting list for phones, Hungary has leased rights to a Dutch -Scandinavian group of companies to build and operate what it says will be one of the most advanced digital mobile phone systems in the world. 为进一步减少电话待装户，匈牙利已将权利出租给一家荷兰-斯堪的纳维亚企业集团，来建造并经营一个据说是世界上最先进的数字移动电话系统。
8. All this would reduce profits and precipitate an economic crisis. 所有这一切会降低利润并引起经济危机。
9. As if this were not enough to reduce you to tears, your husband arrives, unexpectedly bringing three guests to dinner. 好像这一切还不足以使你急得掉泪，你的丈夫接着回来了，事先没打招呼就带来3个客人吃饭。
10. Although many people assume that balance and movement problems are inevitable with age, an increasing body of evidence demonstrates that exercise can help improve balance and strength in elderly individuals and reduce their chance of falling. 尽管许多人认为难以保持平衡和活动不便的问题随着衰老而不可避免，但越来越多的证据表明，运动有助于老年人增强平衡能力和增长力气，可减少他们摔跤的可能性。