1 (book containing an) official list or record of names, items, attendances, etc 登记; 注册; 注册簿; 登记表; 登记簿
*a parish register, ie listing births, marriages and deaths 牧区登记册（记载出生、婚丧等事项）
* Lloyd's Register (of Shipping) 劳埃德船级社
* the electoral register/the register of voters, ie of people entitled to vote 选民名册
* make entries in a register 登记入册
* The class teacher called the (names on the) register. 任课教师点了名.
2 mechanical device for indicating or recording speed, force, numbers, etc automatically 记录器（自动显示或记录速度、力度、数量等的装置）
*a cash register 现金出纳机.
3 (part of the) range of a human voice or a musical instrument （人声或乐器的）声区
*notes in the upper/middle register 高[中]声区
* the lower register of a clarinet, tenor, etc 单簧管、男高音等的低声区.
4 (linguistics 语言) range of vocabulary, grammar, etc used by speakers in particular social circumstances or professional contexts 语域（在特定社交场合或专业领域中人们使用的词汇、语法等的范围）
*the informal register of speech 通俗语体
* specialist registers of English, eg for legal, financial, etc matters 英语的专门术语（如法律、金融等术语）.
5 adjustable metal plate for widening or narrowing an opening and regulating draught, esp in a fire-grate 节气门, 调风器（尤指炉箅中的）.
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.a only passive 只用于被动语态, Cn.n/a esp passive 尤用于被动语态] ~ (at/for/with sth); ~ sth (in sth); ~ sb as sth formally record (a name, an event, a sale, etc) in a list 登记（姓名、事项、销售额等）; 注册; 记录
*register at a hotel, ie book in as a guest 登记入住旅馆
* You must register with the police, the embassy, etc. 你应该向警方、使馆等登记.
* Where can I register (ie enrol as a student) for the Arabic course? 我学习阿拉伯语课程到哪里注册?
* register one's car, the birth of a child, a patent 登记自己的汽车、小孩的出生日、专利
* a State Registered Nurse, ie one who is officially registered 国家注册护士
* register the house in your name 把房子登记在你的名下
* She is registered (as) disabled. 她已登记为伤残者.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (with sb); ~ sth (at sth) present sth formally in writing for consideration （以书面形式）提出某事以便考虑
*register a complaint with the authorities 向当局提出申诉
* register a strong protest at the government's action 对政府的行动提出强烈抗议.
3 (a) [I, Tn] (of figures,etc) be indicated or recorded; (of measuring instruments) indicate or record (figures, etc) automatically （指数字等）被显示或记录; （指测量仪器）自动显示或记录（数 字等）
*Loss of pressure had not registered on the dials. 刻度盘未记录压力下降.
* The thermometer registered 32C.温度计显示的读数为32C.
(b) [Tn] (of a person, his face, his actions, etc) show (emotion, etc) （指人、人的面孔、动作等）显出, 流露（情绪等）
*He slammed the door to register his disapproval. 他砰的一声把门关上以示不满.
* Her face registered dismay. 她脸上流露出惊慌的神色.
4 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tf] ~ (with sb) (infml 口) (of facts, etc) be mentally recorded or fully realized; (of people) remember or notice (sth) （指事实等）铭记在心, 充分了解; （指人）记住或注意到（某事物）
*Her name didn't register (with me). 我没记住她的名字.
* I registered (the fact) that he was late. 我注意到他迟到了.
5 (a) [Tn] send (letters, etc) by post, paying extra for compensation against loss or damage 挂号邮寄（信等）
*It's wise to register letters containing banknotes. 信中夹钞票最好寄挂号.
(b) [esp passive 尤用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to sth) send (luggage) by rail or sea, paying extra for compensation against loss or damage （由铁路或海路）挂号托运（行李）
*sea baggage registered to Rio 由海路挂号托运到里约热内卢的行李.