n.遗憾,悔恨,抱歉,歉意 vt.为...感到遗憾,后悔,惋惜,哀悼,懊悔 vi.感到抱歉
名词:regretter 动词过去式:regretted 过去分词:regretted 现在分词:regretting 第三人称单数:regrets
1 [U, C] feeling of sadness at the loss of sb/sth; feeling of annoyance, disappointment or repentance 痛惜; 懊悔; 遗憾; 失望; 悔恨
*express, feel regret at/about a missed opportunity 对错过良机表示、感到懊悔
* I heard of his death with profound/deep/great regret. 我听到他去世的消息感到万分悲痛.
* Much to my regret, I am unable to accept your invitation. 很抱歉, 我不能接受你的邀请.
* I have no regrets about leaving. 我对离去一事毫不後悔.
2 regrets [pl] (fml 文) (used in polite expressions of refusal, apology, etc 用以表示拒绝、歉意等的客气说法)
*give/send one's regrets, eg in answer to a wedding invitation 深表歉意（如谢绝婚礼邀请）
* Please accept my regrets at refusing/that I must refuse. 有拂雅意, 深以为憾.
1 [Tn, Tf, Tw, Tt, Tg, Tsg] feel regret about (sth sad, annoying, disappointing, etc) 对（伤心、恼人、失望等事）感到惋惜、懊悔、遗憾
*If you go now, you'll regret it, ie You will wish you had stayed. 假若你现在就走, 一定得後悔.
* I regret that I cannot help. 很抱歉, 此事爱莫能助.
* It is to be regretted that... 遗憾的是...
* I regret what I said. 我很後悔不该说那话.
* I regret to say the job has been filled. 十分抱歉, 那个工作已经有人做了.
* We regret to inform you..., ie used in letters when giving bad news.兹奉告..., 甚以为憾. （用于以书信通知坏消息）
* I regret (his) ever having raised the matter. （他）竟然提出此事, 令人遗憾.
2 [Tn] feel sorrow about (the loss of sb/sth); wish to have (sb/sth) again 对（失去某人[某事物]）感到悲伤或惋惜
*regret lost/missed opportunities 对失去[错过]机会感到惋惜
* His death was regretted by all. 他去世了, 大家都很悲痛.
1. B: The more you tell me the more I regret having missed it. B：你告诉我的越多，我就越是遗憾错过了这场演出。
2. No doubt this is a matter for regret, but the same thing has happened to many other ancient tombs. 这无疑是一件憾事，不过其它许多古代墓穴也遭受了同样命运。
3. No sunset so beautiful that it does not waken the vision of a greater beauty, a vision which passes before it is fully glimpsed, and in passing leaves an indefinable longing and regret. 美丽的落日总会引起一个更加绚丽的景象未及饱览便一闪即逝，并在消逝中给人留下不可名状的渴望和惆怅。
4. Reading a survey report on first-year college students, I recalled the regret, "If only I knew then what I know now." 在阅读一份对大学一年级新生作的调查报告时，我又想起了这种惋惜之情: "要是当初我就懂得了我到现在才领悟到的东西, 该有多好！"
5. If they give in, they feel regret and resentment over having been too easy. 如果他们让步了，也会因为太容易让步而感到懊悔和自责。
6. If they refuse a request, they immediately feel a wave of regret for having been so strict or ungenerous. 如果他们拒绝孩子的请求，他们会立即因为对孩子太严格或太不慷慨而感到一阵后悔。