late＝to bring（带来）,to bear（搬运）
1 [U] ~ (between sth and sth); ~ (to sth) way in which one person or thing is related to another; similarity, contrast or connection between people, things or events （人或事物与他者的）联系, 关联, 关系
*the relation between rainfall and crop production 降雨量与作物产量之间的关系
* The cost of this project bears/has/shows no relation to the results, ie It does not justify them. 此项目的费用与其成果不相称.
2 (a) [C] person who is related to another; relative 亲戚; 亲属
*a close/near/distant relation of mine 我的近亲[较近的亲戚/远亲]
* a relation by marriage/law 姻亲.
(b) [U] family connection; kinship 亲戚关系; 亲属关系
*Is he any relation (to you)? 他（跟你）是亲戚吗?
* He's no relation (to me). 他（跟我）不是亲戚.
* What relation are you (to each other)? ie How are you related? 你们（彼此之间）是什么亲属关系?
3 relations [pl] ~s (between sb/sth and sb/sth); ~s (with sb/sth) links or contacts between people, groups, countries, etc; dealings （人、团体、国家等之间的）关系, 联系; 交往
*diplomatic, international, business relations 外交、国际、业务关系
* the friendly relations (existing) between our countries 我们国家之间（存在的）友好关系
* Relations are rather strained (ie difficult or awkward) at present. 目前关系有些紧张.
* break off (all) relations with one's family 与家庭断绝了（一切）联系.
4 (idm 习语) have (sexual) relations (with sb) have intercourse (with sb) 与（某人）发生（性）关系; 与（某人）性交. in/with relation to sb/sth (fml 文) concerning sb/sth; with reference to sb/sth 与某人[某事物]有关; 涉及某人[某事物]. a poor relation => poor.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Compare relation, relationsand relationship. 试比较relation、relations、relationship这三个词. Relationship has the widest use, covering many of the meanings of relation and relations. *relationship用法最广, 包括了relation和relations的许多含义.
1 Relation and relationshipcan be used of family connections *relation和relationship可用以表示亲属关系
*A relation of mine is coming to stay. 我有个亲戚要来此暂住.
* `What's your relationship to her?' `She's my cousin.' ｀你跟她是什么亲戚?＇｀她是我的表妹.＇
2 Relationship can indicate a strong emotional association *relationship可以指强烈的感情联系
*Their relationship has lasted many years. 他们的感情已有很多年了.
3 When speaking about less personal associations or friendships, relations or relationship is used 若不侧重个人关系或友谊时, 可用relations或relationship
*Relations with the USSR are improving. 与苏联的关系正在改善.
* Britain has a unique relationship with the USA. 英国与美国之间的关系很特殊.
4 Relation and relationship can indicate a similarity or correspondence between things *relation和relationship可以表示事物之间的相似处或一致性
*Some people say that there's no relation/relationship between violence on television and crimes of violence. 有些人说电视中的暴力镜头与生活中的暴力犯罪并无关系.
1【between people/countries】2 in relation to something3【connection】4【family】5 have (sexual) relations (with somebody)
【BETWEEN PEOPLE/COUNTRIES】relations [plural]a)
official connections between countries, companies, organizations etc Relations between the two countries have improved recently.diplomatic/international etc relations Canada and Britain have established diplomatic relations with North Korea.relations with Britain threatened to break off diplomatic relations with the regime. The union has close relations with the Labour Party.b)
the way in which people or groups of people behave towards each otherrelations between Relations between workers and management are generally good. measures to improve race relations (=relations between people of different races)
→public relations, industrial relations, race relationsin relation to sthformala)
used to talk about something that is connected with or compared with the thing you are talking about Women's earnings are still low in relation to men's.b)formal
concerning latest developments in relation to the disease【CONNECTION】 [U and C]
a connection between two or more things
= relationshiprelation between the relation between prices and wages The price the meat is sold for bears no relation to (=is not connected to) the price the farmer receives.【FAMILY】[C]
a member of your family
= relative We have relations in Canada and Scotland.relation of/to What relation are you to Jessica?close/distant relation Steve is a distant relation of my wife.
→poor relationatpoorhave (sexual) relations (with sb)old-fashioned
to have sex with someone
1. To us the impersonality of electronic communication has little or no relation to the significance of the matter at hand. 就我们而言，电子交流的缺乏人情味与我们手头上事情的重要性之间很少有或完全没有关系。
2. An uncle is a relation. 叔叔（舅舅）是亲属。
3. ´A relation of yours is coming to see you. "您的一个亲戚就要来看您了。
4. Although the language had no close relation to any of the modern or ancient languages he knew, he made such progress in six months as to be able to enjoy reading Russian poetry and prose works. 虽然这门语言与他所知道的任何一门现代或古老的语言没有任何紧密的联系，但是他在六个月内就有了显著的进步，甚至已经可以阅读俄文诗歌及散文作品而且读得津津有味了。
5. Others say "actions speak louder than words," usually in relation to keeping promises, paying bills or sending money home. 还有一些人说"行动胜于言辞"，这通常与信守诺言、付账，以及寄钱回家等行为相关。
6. It is possible that there is a definite relation between these paintings and the markings that sometimes accompany them. 有时，这种图画与墙壁上的刻痕共存，它们之间可能有一定的联系。